What 650b wheels should I buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a gravel bike that uses 650b through-axel wheels (obviously with disc brake rotors). The groupset is GRX 1x11. I have some WTB wheels on my bike atm for offroad/trail riding.

I need some wheels for mainly road use so would be using thinner tyres with little grip but not as thin as road bicycle tyres. Obviously the wheel rims will have to be narrower, but how narrow? They would have to be through-axel too.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The rims (for the purpose described - "thinner tyres" road use) would best have an internal rim width of 19mm. 584-19 or 584-21
This would allow you to ride (say) 32mm up to 37mm.
Sheldon's rule of thumb is tyre width divided by inner rim width is best >1.4<2.0

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t know what the availability of Narrow 650b rims/wheels might be but you will struggle to find tyres less than 45c in that size. It’s a size originally introduced for mountain bikes but was also adopted by a few manufacturers for some gravel models.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What width tyres are you running on the current wheels? You may well be able to fit a 700c wheel with a 28 or 32mm width tyre and still have a similar overall diameter. This will also maintain the gearing inches as otherwise the reduction in wheel diameter will make the gears slightly more 'spinney'.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I need some wheels for mainly road use so would be using thinner tyres with little grip but not as thin as road bicycle tyres. Obviously the wheel rims will have to be narrower, but how narrow? They would have to be through-axel too.

No is not at all obvious.
Why not try some say 32mm slicks on your existing wheels, pretty sure they will fit with no issues, its not like you are aiming for 23-25mm

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
From the Nukeproof website; "Nukeproof Digger 27.5” Road Plus or 700C compatible"...... "Max Tyre Size: 27.5"x47C/700Cx42C".

https://nukeproof.com/products/2021-digger

I think you might be getting confused ? You can ride a gravel bike with really chunky tyres on a 650B wheel.

If you're not using fat tyres you can use 700c wheels and slimmer tyres.

Hunt wheels have been good and they'd probably guide you too.

Top Bottom