What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There does indeed, many crops can only be picked by hand, guess what, it gets done :okay:
Another job not for everyone, sounds easy, working in the "great outdoors", with a fair few giving up after the first few days, when they realise its not easy.

Moderators

Legendary Member
Thread now reopened.
Some posts have been edited or removed.
Please refer to our rules and guidelines if you have any doubts about what is appropriate.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Another job not for everyone, sounds easy, working in the "great outdoors", with a fair few giving up after the first few days, when they realise its not easy.
The thread was rumbling along doing its best to give the impression that the staff in the petrol station were barely worthy of being called petrol sales operatives because although they were selling petrol, they weren't doing it whilst sat in an oven. The job was still getting done, exactly the same as the crops still get picked and the ground still gets tilled, the livestock still get their guts shoved back in and the steel still gets beaten, for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth all the jobs were still getting done, why it's important for some that those tasks should be performed as if you were an extra in Showboat I have no idea.

You and me
We sweat and strain
Body all aching
And wracked with pain
Tote that barge
Lift that bale

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
It was still partially being done. They couldn't take dash, and they couldn't make sales of goods in the shop.

The whole point of them having jobs is to handle cash and make sales. Simple pay at the pump doesn't require any personnel and they'd all have no jobs if Tesco decided that was a good idea.

classic33

Leg End Member
The thread was rumbling along doing it's best to give the impression that the staff in the petrol station were barely worthy of being called petrol sales operatives because although they were selling petrol, they weren't doing it whilst sat in an oven. The job was still getting done, exactly the same as the crops still get picked and the ground still gets tilled, the livestock still get their guts shoved back in and the steel still gets beaten, for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth all the jobs were still getting done, why it's important for some that those tasks should be performed as if you were an extra in Showboat I have no idea.

You and me
We sweat and strain
Body all aching
And wracked with pain
Tote that barge
Lift that bale

I never claimed to be in Showboat or there was anything special about the work being done. You, yourself seemed to think it stupid to be doing work by hand when there's machinery that can do the work.

Given as an example of where the machinery failed, but the work still had to be done. As pointed out by you there's some jobs machinery can't do yet, human intervention required to get them done. No stopping, or only doing half of it when the machines failed.

Nothing glamorous or special about it, at least not to me.

You feel like making a song and dance about it, go ahead. I'll not be joining in.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I never claimed to be in Showboat or there was anything special about the work being done. You, yourself seemed to think it stupid to be doing work by hand when there's machinery that can do the work.

Given as an example of where the machinery failed, but the work still had to be done. As pointed out by you there's some jobs machinery can't do yet, human intervention required to get them done. No stopping, or only doing half of it when the machines failed.

Nothing glamorous or special about it, at least not to me.

You feel like making a song and dance about it, go ahead. I'll not be joining in.
What's your point caller?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Leaving the gender politics aside for a moment to get back to the topic of air-conditioning...

There's a lovely irony to all this. Their use of aircon to stop themselves getting a bit sweaty, is burning fossil fuels the emissions from which help to warm the planet, meaning that their children will suffer even more sweltering temperatures. Screwing our planet for today's comfort and convenience, while blissfully ignorant of the discomfort and inconvenience this bestows upon generations to come.

I don't share your view that the staff were in any way softies for preferring not to work in an overheated shop. However, I do agree that air-conditioning is a real problem. Modern buildings are designed in a way that requires air conditioning to make them habitable. This really should not be necessary in our climate.

There was an excellent episode of the 99 Percent Invisible podcast recently that gave a potted history of air-conditioning and its pernicious effects. It even suggested that air-conditioning was partly responsible for Ronald Regan getting elected*. Well worth a listen.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/thermal-delight/

In 1960, 13% of homes in the United States had AC — by 1980, it was up to 55%. Today it’s close to 90%. In just a few decades air conditioning went from luxury to necessity, just as Willis Carrier predicted. And the ubiquity of AC has had a serious impact on how and maybe most profoundly where we live. Hot places like Arizona and Florida saw huge influxes of residents. A mass migration to the so-called “Sunbelt” changed the political map, too, as electoral college seats moved with citizens. And since a lot of these new southward migrants were conservative retirees, they voted Republican, forming a key target demographic in Reagan’s election in 1980.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I work in the outdoors part of the time, and that's not air conditioned. If I want the overtime, I work all of that outdoors in the heat or the cold. Beats working indoors, where the boss is.
big-brother-is-watching-you.png

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I agree Andrew. It was the first time I have ever paid at the pump and found it so much better. I will no doubt pay that way in the future.

Completely off subject but I love Tesco pay at the pump, means I don't have to endure the claustrophobic kiosk that smells something a kin to a launderette and boots perfume department made worse on this occasion by being superheated.

I prefer it too. Although the first time I did it I had everyone in the petrol station yelling 'petrol cap!' at me as I was about to drive off.
Something new always messes up my programming

Top Bottom