What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Today I stopped off at my local Tesco petrol station to fuel up my trusty iron chariot and was greeted by 3 members of staff hanging around the fuel pumps. When I got out the car one of the young staff lady's came over and said if I want fuel I will have to pay for it at the pump with my card as the petrol station shop was closed. I've never payed for fuel this way before ,so she was very helpful to show me. As I glanced over to the shop I noticed it was in darkness with traffic cones across the door . Naturally I asked what was the problem with the shop and the answer I got left me gob smacked. No word of a lie, they had closed the shop because the air conditioning inside had broken down!! and it was to hot to work in there. I didn't comment, but I thought what's the world coming to when a petrol shop closes because the air con is not working.Just imagine how hot it must be working on the highways dressed in all that safety gear or a kitchen catering for school meals. It's been exceptionally hot for everybody to work these last couple of days where conditions are a lot tougher than just sitting down taking money for fuel.
The mind boggles lol :-)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Imagine being on sadleworth moor for a few days..
Nation of wimps

classic33

Leg End Member
There's no maximum workplace temperature, but if enough employees say it's too warm, they have a case.

Building I worked in has been in the high 40's, centigrade, on the first floor. Usually empty when it got warm.

You got to purchase your fuel, you were only inconvenienced a tiny amount. I really don't even understand what your problem here is. They were able to keep selling fuel without exposing their employees to unpleasant or even dangerous conditions. And yes, dangerous. Structures in the UK are not designed for these temperatures. It's totally possible that inside the hut was much hotter than outside. In fact, probably was, or they wouldn't have had people outside to explain the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work in an iron foundry.
Never seen a foundry with aircon
Was it a good place to work? Would you think it was OK to let people not work in those conditions, if the only downside of doing that was that people had to pay in advance for their fuel?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Was it a good place to work? Would you think it was OK to let people not work in those conditions, if the only downside of doing that was that people had to pay in advance for their fuel?
Just stating fact.
Foundries are hot places.
Metal gets melted. Place gets hot.
Walking out is not an option.

I was given some safety glasses to evaluate, from a new supplier.
The supplier didn’t get the order because they melted on my face.

Just stating fact.
Foundries are hot places.
Metal gets melted. Place gets hot.
Walking out is not an option.

I was given some safety glasses to evaluate, from a new supplier.
The supplier didn’t get the order because they melted on my face.
Wow. And thank you for doing what most of us don't.

I'm sure that most of what you did that was uncomfortable was also unavoidable. If you could have somehow got out of the foundary by - bear with me here - "customers" paying in advance, you wouldn't have said "no, I prefer to be exposed to extreme temperatures rather than mildly inconveniences forecourt customers."

Oldfentiger

Veteran
My point is that there are occupations where extremes of temperature are commonplace, and there exists no opportunity or desire to “get out”.
I’ve also seen people stacking foodstuffs in cold stores. Those guys are working in minus 20 degrees C all day.
I didn’t set out to denigrate the workers who were the subject of the OP. They had the option to do their job in a different way, but not everyone has this option.
Working in a foundry in winter is toasty btw :tongue:

Top Bottom