What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
You got to purchase your fuel, you were only inconvenienced a tiny amount. I really don't even understand what your problem here is. They were able to keep selling fuel without exposing their employees to unpleasant or even dangerous conditions. And yes, dangerous. Structures in the UK are not designed for these temperatures. It's totally possible that inside the hut was much hotter than outside. In fact, probably was, or they wouldn't have had people outside to explain the rules.

And I say this from the point of view of someone who doesn't think England has ever been "hot".
I don’t think the OP was complaining about being inconvenienced. The way I read it he was sharing his surprise that the shop should close for no other reason than the air con not working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I don’t think the OP was complaining about being inconvenienced. The way I read it he was sharing his surprise that the shop should close for no other reason than the air con not working.

I completely agree - I think it was just the surprise factor...I mean it will only be getting hotter, I currently have the fan on at my reception desk....it's lovely

Drago

Legendary Member
They think they've got problems. They should try wearing boots, woolen trousers, 5 kilos of body armour, a weighty utility belt, and a pointy hat made by the Torture Sauna Company LTD, with an outer fluorescent layer made by the Extra Insulating Unbreathable Plastic Bag Company Ltd, and doing a 12 hour tour on foot with no water except whatever you manage to clip to your belt at the start of the day, during Silverstone race weekend. Then they'll discover what 'hot'really means.

There are plenty of people out there who simply have no choice but to soldier on when its so hot it's tortuous, such as coppers, nurses, soldiers in the stans, trumpton, builders, the aforementioned foundry workers. They don't get to chill outside in the shade when the air conditioning they never had in the first place packs up. It's a wonder we won 2 world wars, and with a lack of fortitude like that we won't be winning much else.

And what about third world countries where folk have to walk miles daily in the sun for water, toil in the fields from dawn til dusk, work in a sweat shop making your cycle clothing for pennies an hour? I doubt most of them have ever heard the words "air conditioning".

There's no lack of understanding. I understand entirely that it's nice to be cool, but I still had to crack on with work when it wasn't, and so do billions of others around the world.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My point is that there are occupations where extremes of temperature are commonplace, and there exists no opportunity or desire to “get out”.
I’ve also seen people stacking foodstuffs in cold stores. Those guys are working in minus 20 degrees C all day.
I didn’t set out to denigrate the workers who were the subject of the OP. They had the option to do their job in a different way, but not everyone has this option.
Working in a foundry in winter is toasty btw :tongue:
Yep, best job in the world in Winter, I was a 'Greensand' Moulder so the first job in the morning was to shovel a couple of tons of sand each through the 'Chucker', that kept you warm til the Furnaces were lit. :becool:

Drago

Legendary Member
There's a lovely irony to all this. Their use of aircon to stop themselves getting a bit sweaty, is burning fossil fuels the emissions from which help to warm the planet, meaning that their children will suffer even more sweltering temperatures. Screwing our planet for today's comfort and convenience, while blissfully ignorant of the discomfort and inconvenience this bestows upon generations to come.

Top Bottom