What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I wonder how people who work in refrigerated warehouses manage during the winter? Anyone on here work in such a place?
Salvesens as was, now a different company, we used to work in -25c, so cold if you inhaled the hairs in your nostrils would momentarily freeze. We had appropriate PPE so no real problem other than the weight of it all if you were in there all day.
But to your point....when you walked out the store on a winters day, into anything around freezing temps...you felt positively warm for a while.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I've seen foundries with open sides in the summer, though, and they used to close up the sides in winter. My father's wire drawing department at the steel mill had big openings on the side, closed with fiberglass panels in winter, (until the fiberglass caught fire once) But now I think it is mostly on blowers and air movers, as I think mostly robots do the work in there now.
We had a contraption which consisted of a fan with a water spray, which blew a cooling mist you could stand in front of. Surprisingly effective.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Salvesens as was, now a different company, we used to work in -25c, so cold if you inhaled the hairs in your nostrils would momentarily freeze. We had appropriate PPE so no real problem other than the weight of it all if you were in there all day.
But to your point....when you walked out the store on a winters day, into anything around freezing temps...you felt positively warm for a while.

Yes - Christian Salvesen in Woodston was where I was referring to. This would have been mid 1980's.
I had to go into the cold store to identify some component or other for replacement.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Oh, my grandfather used to call boiled sweets suckers. I thought it was a family name for them but perhaps not.
Varies locally. Like soft drinks. Some places in the U.S. they are caled soda, other places pop, and in parts of the south, they are all called coca cola, or cocola. And this has it's viewpoints included. Anyone in my part of the Midwest who calls soft drinks "pop" I think may be a criminal

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We spotted. We don't see him hobbling outside because his non existent aircon has gone on strike.
Used to be a union, and good union benefits, in the iron foundry. We lack the ability to provide good health care to all in the States, because we are such a poor country.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
1995 wasn't exactly a cold year here.

Yes I remember that summer working in a "Prefabricated" hut while major renovation work was going on in the main building. There was very little air circulating, and we finished early. The personnel manager grilled (?) us the next day about leaving early. When he visited us in that hut at lunch time, he very quickly shut up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to work in a very large portacabin, we used to get anything from freezing to 40c in there. Wasn't pleasant. The only time anyone was allowed home was middle of winter when the heating broke - it was freezing, and the auditors said they would have to go because of the temperature. Some of us stayed as we were very busy. Those that shot out the door found out next day that those that had stayed a few extra hours got a day off in lieu. Oh they weren't happy.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Apologies @johnnyb47, that abuse was uncalled-for .
Thank you for apologizing and no hard feelings on my behalf. I would just like to make it clear that I try to post my comments over (in a light hearted manner) and if they have caused any offence I apologise for this. Cycle Chat is a great site and always full of banter, and I sometimes just like to add some funny and strange things I may see on my travels to help enrich this great site.
All the very best and stay safe out there,
Johnny :-)

Top Bottom