What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would have been as surprised as the OP to be honest. Not saying that it's a bad thing to look after your employees, but it wasn't the type of thing one would have expected even 5 years ago. I worked in one office where the CEO could see all the men dripping with sweat in shirt and tie, but still would not relax the dress code. it is a sign of the times, whether that's a good thing or not.

Lozz360

Veteran
Apologies @johnnyb47, that abuse was uncalled-for .
Got a little bit overheated did we? :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
They'd probably moan it's too hot and go and stand by some petrol pumps.

It's Summer, and during the summer it can sometimes get hot, and that can make indoors hot and stuffy. Get over it World. Any old farts remember the summer of 76 where not only did we have no air conditioning anywhere, but we also had no water and had only a stand pipe in the street that was available for a limited number of hours a day? Workers still went to work (except perhaps coal miners and car industry workers, who never went to work anyway).

There is a terrible culture in the UK of solipsistic self entitlement. All the wars, famine, death, disease and suffering around the World and people close up shop because the air conditioning goes AWOL. Some people really need to get a grip on themselves and reality.

It's hot, it's not nice, keep hydrated get on with it. Nothing to see here people.
Stuck in a classroom, in full school uniform, with glass on two sides.

classic33

Leg End Member
When it(if) gets warm, I'll take the bodywarmer off. Heats up, the sweatshirt will follow.

Leaving just the shirt and tee shirt.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
And Mcains in whittlesey

Which reminds me of another ridiculously hot job.
Kiln Drawer (brickworks). Job title of the men who removed bricks from the kiln by hand. The bricks were so hot that they had to use thick leather hand protectors. My uncle was a kiln drawer, but it was a young mans occupation.
Same job is now done using forklifts, but the kilns are still just as hot.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I didn't alter your post, that would be against the rules.

You asked for an example of 'whataboutery'. and I gave one.

Ok, you edited my post to give your answer.
I also think you're using whataboutery in the wrong context in this example.

I was talking about fire fighters on the moor ,not the past

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
This is the First World. And as the OP says, quite a crazy one.
The populace is dumbly waiting about for someone to invent robots to do it all for them. Until then, I’m afraid much of working hoi polloi haven’t the desire to sweat, grind, push, strive or otherwise exert themselves for their daily bread.
I’m a drystone waller and run a mobile sawmill. In the last ten years I have yet to find anyone willing to work alongside. Many come in hope, but leave unable to make the living they think they deserve. Dust, dirt, danger and days which drag send them whence they came.
I’ve trained 30 people to an industry standard, and not one has taken up walling work, despite their being miles and years of work to do.
OP and others make valid points. Maybe there was some hidden threat to the workers in working in a hot room. But the wider point stands: effort despite adversity can be its own reward.

Top Bottom