What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It does make one wonder though. If our country faced some kind of existential crisis, such as a World War, massive collapse of the economy, a Brexit etc, how will the country survive if people aren't prepared to push themselves that extra wee bit? Would Putin not want to invade simply because the weather is a bit warm, or would someone call a halt to a run on the pound until the weather cooled off a bit? If adversity as minor as that is bringing people out in a sweat (see what I did there?) then our nation, society and culture will be doomed when the chips really are down.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well you wouldn't want any of the chocolate would you, perhaps also the fridges couldn't cope with the high ambient so they had to move all the stock back to the main store. What if the till computers were shutting down because they were overheating? All this stuff is unknown, all that is clear is the staff carried on working, outside, in the heat, amongst moving vehicles, with the constant smell of fumes.
Still taking payment though, so the till computers were working. Card machine is linked to the computer to keep an eye on sales & payments.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
It does make one wonder though. If our country faced some kind of existential crisis, such as a World War, massive collapse of the economy, a Brexit etc, how will the country survive if people aren't prepared to push themselves that extra wee bit? Would Putin not want to invade simply because the weather is a bit warm, or would someone call a halt to a run on the pound until the weather cooled off a bit? If adversity as minor as that is bringing people out in a sweat (see what I did there?) then our nation, society and culture will be doomed when the chips really are down.
People have probably moaned about the softy generations down the ages. the truth is that when real adversity hits, people step up when it matters.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Keep gender out of it. I didn’t even insinuate manning the eff up, down or otherwise.
The thread was about people flaking out because of supposedly adverse conditions: I was bringing what I experience to the conversation, in the vain hope we might get somewhere in our thinking. Hah.
As often here, some will have their fun picking and derailing. Which is why I usually keep quiet and don’t post.

I'm not going to keep gender out of a thread which mostly consists of well-off geezers from the most pampered generation in history banging on about how they were a cross between Chuck Norris, Captain Kurtz and Stakhanov at that age and advocating pointlessly subjecting staff in already tedious jobs to unpleasant conditions as some idiotic test of their mettle.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
They're less and less able and/or willing to do so though. Often taking the easy option.

To equate to @woodenspoons example, try turning a field of hay, twice in the same day, by hand(no machinery), home 13 hours after starting. Getting your dinner around 11pm. Then going to bed, knowing you'll be repeating it later that morning. Only around 2am your woken to try and help get the innards of a cow back in, after calving.

Or spend a few days on a silage pit, as its being built. You can't stop once started. Should someone not turn up, work was too hard, you've to make up for that.

Keep gender out of it.
Y'know, I was tempted to post something not dissimilar back at this point in the thread
So if there's a problem staff are bullied or treated like crap, or told they should leave so a pretty young lady in a short skirt can replace them. I'm not surprised they pulled the 'can't work in these conditions' card,
(my bold)
but I didn't bother because there's only so many times in a lifetime you can be arsed to get told you're an overreacting harpy.

[QUOTE 5294381, member: 10119"]Y'know, I was tempted to post something not dissimilar back at this point in the thread

(my bold)
but I didn't bother because there's only so many times in a lifetime you can be arsed to get told you're an overreacting harpy.[/QUOTE]

It's fact not opinion. Quote of a Tesco department manager to my brother - "I want all you old people out of here so I can replace you all with young girls in short skirts".
Staff have now rallied together and made a formal complaint to the store manager for this and other acts of bullying.
(my bold)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
To equate to @woodenspoons example, try turning a field of hay, twice in the same day, by hand(no machinery), home 13 hours after starting. Getting your dinner around 11pm. Then going to bed, knowing you'll be repeating it later that morning. Only around 2am your woken to try and help get the innards of a cow back in, after calving.
Why? Why try doing something without machinery when machinery has been specifically invented so you don't have to do it without machinery? Why spend the day in a glorified portacabin when you can still sell petrol (which I would imagine is what you're actually getting paid for) without having to sweat your bollocks off.
I'm quite sure that farmers and farm labourers still get up or don't go to bed at all in order to spend the night pushing guts back in.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why? Why try doing something without machinery when machinery has been specifically invented so you don't have to do it without machinery? Why spend the day in a glorified portacabin when you can still sell petrol (which I would imagine is what you're actually getting paid for) without having to sweat your bollocks off.
I'm quite sure that farmers and farm labourers still get up or don't go to bed at all in order to spend the night pushing guts back in.
Ground was too soft to support the weight of the tractor.

For all the advances in machinery, there remains a fair bit of work that has to be done by hand.

Top Bottom