What a crazy world we live in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My ex boss, an extremely bright and driven woman, petite but fierce, left her job as a senior IT manager, we're talking blue chip company, to become a stone wall builder.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, thats nothing. I was an apprentice at Los Alamos, and had to take temperature readings from the core of an H bomb as it exploded. I couldn't afford to drink on an apprentices wage. The only liquid sustenance I enjoyed was the sweat squeezed from my Y fronts. They wouldn't give me air conditioning because they reckoned it would take me years to reach the level of a petrol lump cashier.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The idea that life is one long lesson in how to MTFU is indeed tedious.
Don't know about the MTFU, but the WTFU makes me proud.
I did it, many of my friends did it, and, yes, for many people life is one long lesson in how to do it.
Anyway, I don't think @woodenspoons meant to shove his manliness on the forum's face, so to speak.
@woodenspoons are you talking about the characteristic stone Cumbrian walls?
I've been on tour in that area.
Those walls are beautiful, there are probably not many that can build them nowadays.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I did it, many of my friends did it, and, yes, for many people life is one long lesson in how to do it.
Anyway, I don't think @woodenspoons meant to shove his manliness on the forum's face, so to speak.
Those walls are beautiful, there are probably not many that can build them nowadays.
I responded to Mr Spoons because he took issue with an observation about gender, not because I think he's the worst offender. I think dry stone walling is an admirable and useful skill. My father recently did a beginner's course in the Sychnant Pass. On a very hot day - grrrrrrr.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Keep gender out of it. I didn’t even insinuate manning the eff up, down or otherwise.
The thread was about people flaking out because of supposedly adverse conditions: I was bringing what I experience to the conversation, in the vain hope we might get somewhere in our thinking. Hah.
As often here, some will have their fun picking and derailing. Which is why I usually keep quiet and don’t post.

classic33

Leg End Member
In Yorkshire!!

TVC

Keep gender out of it. I didn’t even insinuate manning the eff up, down or otherwise.
The thread was about people flaking out because of supposedly adverse conditions: I was bringing what I experience to the conversation, in the vain hope we might get somewhere in our thinking. Hah.
As often here, some will have their fun picking and derailing. Which is why I usually keep quiet and don’t post.
The thread is actually about how an air con unit at a petrol station broke meaning that the shop was unuseable so the staff carried on working outside in the heat of the afternoon to give the best service they could to the customers.
The staff did not 'flake', they were not wimps, and petrol was sold.

Making judgements about the backbone of strangers based on a half told, second hand account is not valid.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The thread is actually about how an air con unit at a petrol station broke meaning that the shop was unuseable so the staff carried on working outside in the heat of the afternoon to give the best service they could to the customers.

Making judgements about the backbone of strangers based on a half told, second hand account is not valid.
Ah but would they nip inside to fetch a 'Ginsters' pastie for ya too. xx(

TVC

Ah but would they nip inside to fetch a 'Ginsters' pastie for ya too. xx(
Well you wouldn't want any of the chocolate would you, perhaps also the fridges couldn't cope with the high ambient so they had to move all the stock back to the main store. What if the till computers were shutting down because they were overheating? All this stuff is unknown, all that is clear is the staff carried on working, outside, in the heat, amongst moving vehicles, with the constant smell of fumes.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

You are wrong. The OP uses “crazy” and “ what is the world coming to” in his thread post.
As hard as you try to twist the thread to suit your needs, flying in to find fault as is your habit, you cleverly step over the point.
The staff were “hanging about” - doesn’t say “doing backflips to entertain the crowd”.
Have a read.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
You got to purchase your fuel, you were only inconvenienced a tiny amount. I really don't even understand what your problem here is. They were able to keep selling fuel without exposing their employees to unpleasant or even dangerous conditions. And yes, dangerous. Structures in the UK are not designed for these temperatures. It's totally possible that inside the hut was much hotter than outside. In fact, probably was, or they wouldn't have had people outside to explain the rules.
He doesn't have a problem, it was merely an observation and in fact his post suggests that he is sympathetic to the petrol station workers.

TVC

You are wrong. The OP uses “crazy” and “ what is the world coming to” in his thread post.
As hard as you try to twist the thread to suit your needs, flying in to find fault as is your habit, you cleverly step over the point.
The staff were “hanging about” - doesn’t say “doing backflips to entertain the crowd”.
Have a read.
Where was it I said 'doing backflips'? The OP explained the situation as he saw it, others decided that the staff had somehow given up and they should be ridiculed, even you said 'flaked' when clearly that wasn't the case, they were serving petrol.

So , what is the point that I have stepped over?

Top Bottom