What a horrible human

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's very subtle & I don't feel it comes over in a text based area, it's a far better discussion to have verbally, I appear to have upset you so I apologise, but my feelings are that somebody who goes out with a knife or a gun are in a different league to somebody driving a car, as said I'm struggling with the words (my failing). But somebody who goes out with a knife, a gun, an iron bar etc. have an expectation that at some point they are going to use it, I'm not convince somebody who goes out in a car which can as much if not more physical damage does.

However if he has only got a 6 months suspended sentence & no driving ban, fine, or have to pay victim compensation then something has gone wrong.

No apology merited nor asked for whether we agree or not, as you've said nothing improper !

That said we differ (hopefully in a civilised way) on the key point. I see deliberate use of a vehicle as a weapon, to be absolutely the same as use of a knife. Vehicles, just like knives have legitimate use, but I suspect (admittedly without evidence) that vehicles are deliberately used as weapons more than knives.

Accidents, however stupid are a different category,

D

Deleted member 26715

No apology merited nor asked for whether we agree or not, as you've said nothing improper !

That said we differ (hopefully in a civilised way) on the key point. I see deliberate use of a vehicle as a weapon, to be absolutely the same as use of a knife. Vehicles, just like knives have legitimate use, but I suspect (admittedly without evidence) that vehicles are deliberately used as weapons more than knives.

Accidents, however stupid are a different category,
Agreed, but it's the initial intent in my mind when somebody leaves the house, if you have a knife/gun you are at some point going to use it (as a weapon), I'm not sure that is case with a vehicle, but I also think the prison system doesn't do what it is intended to do, apart from @Drago's point of keeping the rest of society safer (possibly) for a period of time

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agreed, but it's the initial intent in my mind when somebody leaves the house, if you have a knife/gun you are at some point going to use it (as a weapon), I'm not sure that is case with a vehicle, but I also think the prison system doesn't do what it is intended to do, apart from @Drago's point of keeping the rest of society safer (possibly) for a period of time

Whilst I think I understand your point I think you are underestimating the deterrence effect. There is a propaganda hatred of cyclists from the likes of the daily mail, or Top Gear and the proverbial "bloke down the pub". We see calls for neck height garotte wire as "just a joke". Use of car for what I'd call attempted murder is a real problem. I have been deliberately driven at and a lady of this parish was deliberately run over and badly injured. Some of the perps are so say "respectable" folk whose world view of sub human cyclist is reinforced by lack of deterrence, and the treating of these things as spur of the moment.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
He said:
“I have no problem with cyclists - there should be more cyclists on the road. I used to be a cyclist.”
This is the sort of rhetoric Donald Trump uses.

But then he goes on to say:
“But if we all stayed behind cyclists and never overtook the whole world would come to a standstill.''
Which I think is a more accurate reflection of what he really thinks of cyclists.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Pity the Judge when it comes to court could not take his licence of him for life and ban him from any form of travel except cycling, but thats just wishful thinking on my part. The old crepe is more likely to just get a small fine that would amount to about a few hours salary, only consolation if hes that aggressive chances are his health wont last?

Top Bottom