1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about the rugby then?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maggot, 28 Sep 2007.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Spanked the Tongans. Wilko slightly off target but Sackey playing a blinder and Farrell finally scoring. All with Cheddar Ales on special offer. Does life get any better?

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

What wa the score? SWMBO was in, usually works 2-10, but being a nice man I gave her the remote control. Mind, first time she's ever seen it !! :biggrin:

3. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

It was a good match, I enjoyed it! Not convinced we'll beat the Aussies but I was impressed with how we'd pulled it back a bit!!!

4. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

We were losing until the tail end of the first half. If we'd been good, then we'd have been on top all the time and the Tongans would never have got into the game. I can't see us getting anywhere against Australia.

5. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

The Australians are going to want revenge for the final of four years ago. With a bit of luck this may make them overkeen and so England could exploit this to make them make mistakes and/or concede penalties.

6. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

I can see England winning the Australia game.

Don't know about winning the final, but I think they could get there.......

7. Cathryn

Can't wait!!!!

8. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

You're living in a dream world. We play deeply inconsistent rugby ranging from mere average to dire international rugby. Did you see the South Africa game? It was an embarassment. If we get to the final, then all of the other nations playing in the tournament should hang their heads in shame.

9. Cathryn

Okay, I agree we're not great and I'd honestly be surprised if we beat Australia but let's give them some flipping support eh???? Underdogs often win and woof woof, that's us!

10. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

None of what you say is wrong, just for some reason I think it can happen......

11. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

Provided Wilkinson doesn't sprain a toe nail or similar then we still have a chance.

But what's wrong with a bit of national pride? I'm English and I support the England team. If England aren't playing then I support the other UK teams. If none are playing then I enjoy a good contest.

12. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I got roped into watching the game last night...not usually my thing but it was nice to see us win something.

13. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Hmm..........Australia has half our population and Rugby Union is their third most popular oval ball game after Aussie Rules and League. They have a Union playing base of 2,000 and we have 36,000 registered players.

14. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

And the Tongans come from a population about the size of Rotherham but we didn't really thrash them as we should.

15. Cathryn

Okay, okay, I get it!