What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I have always got a book on the go, and with me in my bag/car just in case there is a chance to switch off and escape for a few chapters in between school runs etc.. I am not a fiction person as the escape from reality has always appealed, with the 'no too gory' crime thrillers being the book of choice. James Patterson is usually a favourite as he has so many different character series now (although writing with others is probably just a money spinner for him these days) that it never feels like your reading the same old stuff. Harlan Coben's one off's are often a good read, and if you like a constant 'chase' then Simon Kernick will keep you on your toes too.. A nice cuppa/pint and a good book, Mmm heaven :cuppa:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading Hornblower and the Hotspur, addictive as usual. I have recently started Barchester Towers. So far it has been about mid C19th Church of England politics.

Smudge

Veteran
Just finished Time And Time Again by Ben Elton. Really enjoyed it, as i have done all his books.
Interesting and often funny time travel novel with a great ending.

slow scot

Veteran
I am reading Hornblower and the Hotspur, addictive as usual. I have recently started Barchester Towers. So far it has been about mid C19th Church of England politics.
The Antony Trollope series of novels about the English church and the people connected to it is truly one of English literatures greatest achievements. Don't be put off thinking that, because it deals with church people, it might be somewhat dry. It isn't. Barchester Towers is great, but the others are equally good. My favourite is "Doctor Thorne", televised a year or two ago by the BBC I think.
And of course all the Hornblower books are amazing. Happy reading.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Ballad of Trenchmouth Taggart - recommended by a friend, and maybe a quarter of the way in, it's an absolute belter. Also currently working my way through Manufacturing Consent - a gruelling read, and a devastating critique of the American media's supine reporting of American government realpolitik, supporting an array of truly vile regimes that happen to benefit American business and political interests.

Reactions: C R

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I love the Hornblower books, a great series. The TV films with Ioan Gruffud and Robert Lindsay were well done too. If you haven't already, check out the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell which are in the same vein (the TV films are great too with Sean Bean, if you didn't see them).

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you like his "Wilt" novels, I suggest you try the two he wrote about the South African police. I can't remember their names, but I've never laughed as much reading any other novels. I think they were the first two novels he wrote, and he had personal experience of the bad old times well before the big changes in South Africa.

Its hilarious Constable Els :laugh: as is The Throwback

Im not a big fan of wilt series..

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Red Cobra.
It started off very well, went a bit flat and ill finish it. But its boring and unimaginative...
the writer seems to have difficulty using other ways to keep it going.
I doubt I'll read no2

Proto

Legendary Member
The White Lioness by Henning Mankell.

Working my way through the series I think this is #3 of 10 (?). if you enjoy the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, these are probably not for you.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just finished The Target David Baldacci
Very good i thought.

Now 80 pages into this
Ive read lots of Becker novels and this one is simmering nicely so far.

perplexed

Guru
Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo (Penguin Classics Edition)

I was expecting it to be a bit interminable, as it has loads of digressions by all accounts (first chapter is named 'Fantine', but we don't meet her until about page 124!), but it is very, very readable and I'm enjoying it.

Just finished the mortal engines quartet by philip reeve - much better than the abortion of the film they produced.

Re Reading - Philip Pulman - the book of dust - hoping santa brings me volume 2 for christmas.

If you are after a good christmas read or present for someone - try the "river of no return" Bee Ridgway - really hope she does a follow up.

Top Bottom