What are your best 3 cycling purchases?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
1) My bike
2) Front light
3) Rear light

Interesting that 'helmet' has made no one's top three.
I have just bought a Carnac Notus Road Helmet from Planetx at £26 and so much better than my previous one, don't really know I have it on. Thought bike and a comfortable seat were more important :smile:

Ice2911

Über Member
Garmin Edge 1000 .... I've now explored areas close to my home that I had never been to before, and am now doing a bit of hills (Cambridge is pretty flat but some decent hills if you head out South of Cambridge .... I now create routes on ridewithgps in conjunction with Strava Heatmaps and am enjoying the new routes

Garmin Varia Radar ..... brilliant and makes cycling a pleasure when you are cycling with speed on quiet roads as you can take a more central position .... it's like having an extra set of eyes behind your head

Specialized S-Works Transition .... was a bargain and has a full Campagnolo Chorus groupset .... fits me like a glove and I will keep this one for a long time

there's more.... but those are the 3 best
I have to say my Garmin tour has made me explore areas I never knew around Norfolk using the set a distance and let it plan me a loop. Great fun.

dim

Yup - I have a 700c version, and the best thing I ever did was putting 42c tyres (the largest I can fit under mudguards) on it. My experience with heavily puncture protected tyres (Conti Touring Plus) wasn't great, and I ended up going back to Continental Comfort Contacts, fwiw.

I doubt that I will ever sell my LHT .... I bought mine brand new and added stainless steel mudguards, a Gilles Berthoud Aravis saddle, etc etc ....I would have loved to get the Disk Trucker, but I got my LHT for £600 delivered (it's the accessories that cost lots)

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I've only just started my 'cycling career' so I've not yet bought all that much, although I'm trying!!! So my list will have to be...

1. My Giant hybrid
2. My cheapo Zefal mudflaps (best £7.48 I've spent and super easy to take off for cleaning)
3. A snood (got it for a fiver down the local market and use it on a daily basis on and off the bike)

GOAB

winjim

Smash the cistern
  1. For improving my skills as a mechanic, Roger Musson's Wheelbuilding ebook.
  2. For allowing me to ride in any conditions at any time of year, studded winter tyres.
  3. For sheer hilarity/insanity, for allowing me to keep riding while my other bikes are inaccessible, and just because it's the latest thing I've bought, the crazy little Bickerton folder that's currently on the stand, getting brought back into rideable condition. It's very silly :o).

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
  1. For improving my skills as a mechanic, Roger Musson's Wheelbuilding ebook.
  2. For allowing me to ride in any conditions at any time of year, studded winter tyres.
  3. For sheer hilarity/insanity, for allowing me to keep riding while my other bikes are inaccessible, and just because it's the latest thing I've bought, the crazy little Bickerton folder that's currently on the stand, getting brought back into rideable condition. It's very silly :o).

Sorry for derailing the thread but how are you finding the studded tyres? We normally get the worst weather in January and February and I was considering some studded tyres as I tend to ride on ungritted roads.

GOAB

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Joe blow sport pump
Garmin 200
And anyone of my bikes ^_^

1) My bike
2) Front light
3) Rear light

Interesting that 'helmet' has made no one's top three.
Safety items aren't that glamarous and this thread was clearly intended for people to boast about.

1 - My bike
2 - Tubeless wheels*
3 - Tubeless tyres*
*until they went wrong, haven't tried to fix them yet so it might well be me that was the problem.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
1. The Whyte Montpellier, quite simply the most comfortable bike I've ever been on. Granted I also have a Spesh Roubaix carbon but that is only 6 months old if that and will take some fiddling to get right. The Monty I've had for 3 years and is bob on.

2. As already mentioned and possibly influenced by, a track pump, again a Joe Blow II.

3.Work stand, no more hanging a bike by the saddle over a broom between two chair backs.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry for derailing the thread but how are you finding the studded tyres? We normally get the worst weather in January and February and I was considering some studded tyres as I tend to ride on ungritted roads.

GOAB
Totally worth it. Mine are Schwalbe Winters which are a 30mm road tyre so they just fit under the guards on my CdF. They have less tread and fewer studs than a full on snow tyre like a Marathon Winter and are obviously narrower. Riding on ice is no problem at all, even sheet ice. On loose snow I sometimes need to use a very low gear and spin the rear wheel to clear it down to a more solid base for the studs to grip as the tread won't really cope. The front wheel you need to push sideways like a snowplough until it clears enough to bite. Slidy funtimes but that's only on the deep stuff. For regular icy roads they're ideal. I've ridden round the minor roads of the Peak District in the depths of winter and been fine.

Now that the Bickerton's going to be my main bike for a while, I might have to diy some 14" and 16" studded tyres. Now that would be hilarious.

Top Bottom