What are your best 3 cycling purchases?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al3xsh

Über Member
As I was riding today I got to thinking what my best cycling related purchases have been. I reckon my top 3 are probably:

1) my road bike!
2) my Garmin edge 520
3) a good pair of bib tights for winter

I'm curious about other peoples lists!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
1) My Sirrus as it was my first serious bike that got me addicted.
2) Track pump - it was like someone had released the brakes once the tyres were correctly inflated
3) Putting DMR pedals on the bike (thanks to @Mo1959 ) - feet no longer slipped

I would have said my Satmap on the list, but I never purchased that :laugh:

Ice2911

Über Member
Genesis touring bike
Shimano pd-m324 combination pedals and MTb shoes
Brooks carved Cambium saddle

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
1. Surly Long Haul Trucker
Heavy, slow, comfortable. A great bike that opened my eyes to the possibilities of not going as fast as I can everywhere.
2. Garmin 800
Changed my riding completely - I'm more likely to try new routes, and do a lot more exploring in places I've not been before thanks to this little gadget.
3. Brompton S6-L
Having a bike that folds easily to the size of a smallish suitcase opens up all sorts of riding opportunities. Great little bikes, even at the prices Brompton charge for them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon this is the list ...
  1. Bike
  2. Mapping software
  3. GPS
I plan all of my routes using the mapping software - Memory Map Landranger GB - one huge digital map of the UK which allows me to devise routes anywhere in the country, except Northern Ireland (for some reason). If you have ever looked at any of my forum ride threads, you will see routes plotted on MM.

The GPS allows me to follow the routes without the hassle of messing about with printed maps.

dim

Garmin Edge 1000 .... I've now explored areas close to my home that I had never been to before, and am now doing a bit of hills (Cambridge is pretty flat but some decent hills if you head out South of Cambridge .... I now create routes on ridewithgps in conjunction with Strava Heatmaps and am enjoying the new routes

Garmin Varia Radar ..... brilliant and makes cycling a pleasure when you are cycling with speed on quiet roads as you can take a more central position .... it's like having an extra set of eyes behind your head

Specialized S-Works Transition .... was a bargain and has a full Campagnolo Chorus groupset .... fits me like a glove and I will keep this one for a long time

there's more.... but those are the 3 best

dim

1. Surly Long Haul Trucker
Heavy, slow, comfortable. A great bike that opened my eyes to the possibilities of not going as fast as I can everywhere.
2. Garmin 800
Changed my riding completely - I'm more likely to try new routes, and do a lot more exploring in places I've not been before thanks to this little gadget.
3. Brompton S6-L
Having a bike that folds easily to the size of a smallish suitcase opens up all sorts of riding opportunities. Great little bikes, even at the prices Brompton charge for them.

I agree with the Surly LHT .... I'm using mine as my winter bike and commute approx 40km per day .... a good average speed on mine (mine has 26 inch wheels) is 20-23km/hr .... it's a bike that you can ride for 10-12 hours a day but it does not do fast rides .... At first, I tried to go faster, but then I had a sore knee :blush: .... it's like riding a Cadillac .... slow and comfy

I will be changing the Continental tyres soon, and replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (2 inch wide) .... that will change the ride completely and will be even more comfy (I've used these tyres before on another bike)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I agree with the Surly LHT .... I'm using mine as my winter bike and commute approx 40km per day .... a good average speed on mine (mine has 26 inch wheels) is 20-23km/hr .... it's a bike that you can ride for 10-12 hours a day but it does not do fast rides .... At first, I tried to go faster, but then I had a sore knee :blush: .... it's like riding a Cadillac .... slow and comfy

I will be changing the Continental tyres soon, and replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (2 inch wide) .... that will change the ride completely and will be even more comfy (I've used these tyres before on another bike)
Yup - I have a 700c version, and the best thing I ever did was putting 42c tyres (the largest I can fit under mudguards) on it. My experience with heavily puncture protected tyres (Conti Touring Plus) wasn't great, and I ended up going back to Continental Comfort Contacts, fwiw.

Reactions: dim
Top Bottom