What bike/bikes are you planning to buy in 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

I'll start ....

currently I have 3 bikes ...

my daily (spring/summer/autumn commuter is a Specialized S-Works Transition (a definate keeper and my favourite bike)

A giant TCR Composite (my fast bike) .... it's faster on hills that the Specialized, because the geometry is different and I pedal faster that the S-Works when I stand and pedal .... on flats, there is not much difference in top speed. The S-Works weighs a bit less (just over 7kg), and the Giant weighs just over a kilo and a bit more

My winter commuting bike is a Surly Long Haul Trucker .... heavy with 26 inch wheels .... slow but very comfortable, and a definate keeper. I bought this bike with the intention of cyling LEJOG, but if I do LEJOG, I will want to ride it as fast as I can, so at this stage, I would rather use the Specialized

So, they way I'm leaning at this stage is:

Keep the S-Works as my daily summer commuter .... it's quick, and it's exciting to ride

save up, then sell the Giant TCR and replace that with a good used Scott Foil with Di2 .... this will be my 'fast'/weekend bike.... I really like these

Keep the Surly Long Haul Trucker for special slow group rides with friends (it's a definate keeper, and very very comfy .... can be ridden 12-14 hours a day at 20-22km/hr with a decent saddle

Buy a good used Specialized Roubaix .... add 700Cx28 tyres, Dynamo hub and lights, mudguards, and I will have a very good Winter bike that I can ride fast when I want to (thats what I'm missing from the Surly), plus it may be good for long Audax rides (which I'm planning on doing in 2017)

plus one more for fun ..... a vintage racing Tricycle similiar to this: (I've wanted one for a long time)

3269607353_ff91f97300.jpg

so what's on your wishlist for 2017?

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Certainly not another bike otherwise I will have to extend my shed as I already have 4 bikes in it. On the other hand, I tend to be more of an impulse buyer so who knows?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Reducing first: the Wilier Izoard, Eastway R4.0, Merida Cyclo-Cross and possibly the Spesh Secteur are likely to go.

I've a Wilier Montegrappa frame to build up for temporary use.

Then it's looking for a decent road bike funded mostly by the sale of the 4 above.

Jimidh

Veteran
I'm not allowed another bike until we buy a new kitchen which isn't on the cards until the end of 2017.

I do have 5 so I can't really complain!!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No need, I've aready got a Brompton.

Have you really got two Bromptons? :laugh:

Alan O

Über Member
I started 2016 with no cycling acquisition plans at all, and I ended up getting my old road bike into good order and then acquiring three more as we approach the end of the year.

For 2017, all I'm thinking of is getting a suitable frame and building a fixed wheel bike - possibly by late Spring or early Summer.

Top Bottom