What bike, part or cycling related item have you regretted buying?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by airborneal, 2 Mar 2018.

1. airborneal

airborneal Active Member

Apologies if this has been asked before

It could be because item didn't work as good as expected.

Price was lowered after your purchase

Realized afterwards was wrong size

Not good value

Broke

etc etc, could be loads of reasons

2. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

Park chain cleaner gadget which cleaned the chain alright, but sprayed dirty cleaning fluid everywhere and took more time to clean afterwards than the chain would have taken to clean had I just done it normally.

Endura overshoes whose zip broke on the first use

Sealskin 'waterproof' gloves which soaked up water like a sponge and gave me wet, chilled chapped hands

One of Rapha's first generation waterproof jackets which was utterly boil-in-the-bag - worst I've ever experienced

On the other hand one of the purchases I didn't make and regret not making was when I bought a beautiful pair of TA quill pedals - no longer made and hard to find; there was a second pair available and I took a pass on it. Dumb, dumb, dumb....

ADarkDraconis, raleighnut and User259 like this.
  3. Specialized Carve 29'er HT. Bought C.2012 as 29'ers were taking off.

My main points of disgruntlement were:

The frame was a touch too flexi at the chaimstays for a heavy, powerful rider.

29" wheels, like for like, flex noticeably more off road, I discovered. This was disconcerting, and gave rise to a loss of confidence, and a more conservative, slower riding technique.

That aside, it never really felt any quicker, possibly because I'm also a road rider used to 700c and 27 x 1 1/4, so there was no relevatory performance improvement.

And the big one for me...in the local claggy, sticky clay like conditions the 29 wheels simply added more surface area to collect mud, which decreased the performance, showed up the relatively poor clearances, and made the damn thing weigh a ton more than the 26s I'd been used to up to then.

So in my case it was a mix of displeasure with both the type and design. I just never gelled with it, and sold it on. Lesson learned - I'd never buy a bike again without ridingnit first. A less experienced rider would have spent their £1200 quid and raved because they wouldn't know any better, but as an MTB trainer I found it very unsatisfactory and was glad to see it gone.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2018
    ADarkDraconis likes this.
  4. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

This ^ . Total waste of time

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Another one for the chain cleaner gadget. Complete and utter waste of time.

Brompton bike. Bought for my new bike/train/bike commute. I just don't like it and wish I had bought a different make of folder. They are over rated and over priced for what they are.

6. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

SKS Raceblade XLs.h They did their job fine, but I wish I knew that any bit of grit along the protective pad would be turned to sandpaper. Regret, but lesson learned.

Also, generic BB7 pads occasionally seem to be impossible to fit and therefore a waste.

Turbo trainer.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2018
  7. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

I bought a few Muddyfox branded accessories a while back (pedals, bar ends, pump). Sometimes stuff is inexpensive because the retailer has the buying power to pass on a great deal, sometimes it's just because it's cheap shoot. These items fell into the latter category.

All now broken and replaced with better.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  8. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

[QUOTE 5168752, member: 259"]Yep, me too. I wonder how many of us have one of the stupid things sitting unused in a box in the shed?[/QUOTE]

Add me to the list. Never used it

9. Airzounds

10. Another vote for the chain cleaner things.
    But I'll also add in Assos winter shoe covers.

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

And another nomination for the chain cleaning gadget. Does nothing except fall off and spill the (Useless) cleaning fluid everywhere.

12. MiK1138

MiK1138 Über Member

Am I the only person who likes the chain cleaner doodah

browny, Pedropete and Fnaar like this.
  13. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

I regretted buying my Surley after a while ,to the point I stopped riding it ,and toyed with selling but I changed the bars n leversto flats , got bars to preferred height ,gave it a new lease of life and now I can't get enough of it ,

14. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

I haven't lost much sleep over my cycling purchases, but the one thing that I very quickly realised was not going to work for me was the gearing on my first adult bike in 1989.

I had not ridden a bike since 1969 when my bike was stolen from my school's bike shed in Coventry. I had been used to a few moderate hills in that area as a slim teenager but was totally unprepared for the experience of trying to cycle up long, steep Yorkshire hills as an obese, unfit adult!

The bottom gear on the adult bike was 42/28. I was forever having to get off and walk up our local 15-25% ramps.

So, when it was time for a replacement bike I chose to have it built with a triple chainset. I started off with a 30/23 bottom gear, then changed that for a 30/25, which then became a 30/28, and eventually a luxurious 26/28 which gave me a fighting chance of climbing all our monster gradients!

Fnaar, Banjo, Oldbloke and 4 others like this.
  15. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

all of it. I should have just sat on the sofa watching the telly

C R, Slick, gaijintendo and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice