What bike, part or cycling related item have you regretted buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgs315

Cycling jersey in a medium. Not an aero fit so more like a large. Was already losing weight and had set myself a target to lose some more but in the end I only wore it once before it was too big. Now resides in the bottom of the drawer for whenever I stick 4 stone back on, which if I keep up cycling won’t be anytime soon..

Am I the only person who likes the chain cleaner doodah

No. I really like mine as well.

Secret seems to be to ensure that you spin the chain in the correct (anti-clockwise) direction, otherwise it sprays cleaner everywhere.

Graham

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Another one for the chain cleaner gadget. Complete and utter waste of time.

Brompton bike. Bought for my new bike/train/bike commute. I just don't like it and wish I had bought a different make of folder. They are over rated and over priced for what they are.

Out of interest which folder would you go for now?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yet another Park Tools cleaner. There's an updated design that is supposed to work better. Well it should, they set their (usually high) standards very low on that one.
Power Grips. A half way house between toe straps and clipless pedals that just didn't work for me. Bought my first SPDs and never looked back.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another one for the chain cleaner gadget. Complete and utter waste of time.

Brompton bike. Bought for my new bike/train/bike commute. I just don't like it and wish I had bought a different make of folder. They are over rated and over priced for what they are.
You like blue. You like silver. How about blue and silver?
vergex18-unfold-00-slv-cobalt.jpg

The spiritual successor to Chutney the wonder bike…

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Bontrager taillight. Bought on a whim from the clearance table at the small LBS by my work and it is nice and bright and has good side visibility... but the attachment clips will not stay on the rack mount I have even with the proper bracket, the bag attachment clip that came with it will not stay on my bag strap, I even went back to buy their brand-specific clip adapter that is supposed to help stay tightly attached to bags. Still falls off of everything if I hit a moderate bump. It is now a spare in my bag, maybe I can figure out a way to screw it directly to the rack.

Alan O

Über Member
Probably one of the first LED front lights (which I recently found in an old pannier). They hadn't perfected white LEDs yet, so it used green ones. It wasn't very bright and was extremely directional - slightly off-axis and you couldn't see it.

The rear red one was OK though, as an extra light at least (not as bright as modern ones).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Out of interest which folder would you go for now?
None at the moment. I'm using the big boys bike monday to Thursday's and the Brompton Friday. So at least its getting used. I'm lucky that the trains I use don't mind larger bikes being taken on board during rush hour.

But...if pushed I would get a larger wheel folder.

The only good thing about a Brompton is that they do fold up quick and small.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
When I returned to cycling I did a bit of research on the bike (a hybrid*).

I didn't do any research on accessories though, so on the recommendation of a shop assistant ended up buying a relatively expensive but rubbish set of Topeak lights that would have struggled to illuminate the interior of a shoe box.
And a Bike Hut mini-pump that was and remains utter bobbins.
The lights and the pump were soon replaced and have resided in the back of the bike drawer ever since.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5168752, member: 259"]Yep, me too. I wonder how many of us have one of the stupid things sitting unused in a box in the shed?[/QUOTE]

Not me. I could see they were sh1t so never bought one.

When I took up cycling I was persuaded by an Evans employee my rigid mtb could not fit full mudguards (lie) and I should buy a Crudcatcher to mount on the downtube. They were useless.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A really super cheap pair of pedals for my MTB. The pins were crap and didn't offer any grip, and they only had bearings on one side of the spindle, the other had a plastic bush. To be fair they only cost about £3 on ebay, but definitely a case of buy cheap buy twice.

Oh yeah, and another disappointed chain-cleaner thingy owner too. Never looked back after my first mickle!

Not too bad considering I've bought a lot of other super-cheap bike bits and bobs off ebay and they've all turned out all right.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Giant Defy 1.

Fantastically well made bike. Rode well too.

Just didn’t do it for me aesthetically. When you look at a bike, you have to love it, simple as that.
When I bought my Trek I was torn between her and a Giant TranSend DX. They were both nice machines and the Giant had rack and fenders already so less to do, but it wasn't as pretty to me. Everyone else told me to go with that one and said that it was cooler looking/more modern styling, but it just wasn't my style. You will ride more on a bike you love!

Top Bottom