What bike, part or cycling related item have you regretted buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
whats the "H" word ??
'elmet.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Marathon + tyres, heavy, slow, slippery. I only kept them (until I sold the bike) having paid full price at LBS. thankfully they fitted them or I would have been cursing more if I’d fought them on myself!!

Blimey - I'd forgotten buying Marathon + tyres (or have I just blanked them from my mind?)
They can definitely go on the list! ^_^

Lonestar

Veteran
Sadly I think the Brompton was a mistake.

Cheap brake blocks from Thailand.Only bought them there for convenience and having spares.I had brake failure one night and managed to rear end @Fnaar a moped at Aldgate @ 8mph one fateful night in 2014.Coupled with oil...wet and new rims on the back wheel.Front brake ineffective also...and worn.

Ditched them soon after and bough a bulk lot from ebay which actually work in the wet.

IBarrett

Über Member
Giant Defy 1.

Fantastically well made bike. Rode well too.

Just didn’t do it for me aesthetically. When you look at a bike, you have to love it, simple as that.
Purely out of curiosity in my search for n+1 and a Giant Defy owner what did you come up with as an alternative?
Most bikes I look at seem to be dull and do nothing for me.
Except tt bikes - now them I do like.

C R

Guru
Am I the only person who likes the chain cleaner doodah
I like it too.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I wonder if there’s a correlation between not liking a chain cleaner and using chainsaw oil (or other poor alternative) instead of proper chain lube?

Possibly - I use chainsaw oil myself and don't much like the stickier (expensiver!) bike specific oil I've got on the bike shelf. Mainly the chain cleaner just seemed too much faff compared to mickling with a rag.

Venod

Eh up
Aldi overshoes, their kit is not the best, but some of it has served me well, they had a bad day when they designed the flimsy overshoe.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Aldi overshoes, their kit is not the best, but some of it has served me well, they had a bad when they designed the flimsy overshoe.
Never ever use it when they are gritting, it disintegrates faster than the wicked witch of the West.

bpsmith

Veteran
Purely out of curiosity in my search for n+1 and a Giant Defy owner what did you come up with as an alternative?
Most bikes I look at seem to be dull and do nothing for me.
Except tt bikes - now them I do like.
I got a Bianchi Sempre Pro in Matte Black and then a Ridley Noah SL in Lotto Soudal colours. Stopped at those two and love them both in fairness, both to look at and also riding.

Top Bottom