What bike, part or cycling related item have you regretted buying?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by airborneal, 2 Mar 2018.

1. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

I wonder if there’s a correlation between not liking a chain cleaner and using chainsaw oil (or other poor alternative) instead of proper chain lube?

Maenchi and Slick like this.
  2. fatjel

fatjel Über Member

SP PD 8 dynamo wheel from spa cycles.. Was like having the front brake on and tyres were almost impossible to fit.
    Hated it and sold it to a friend for not much.. He seems OK with it... ( not heard from him lately tho )

Dogtrousers and alicat like this.
  3. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Über Member

found this review on wiggle - hope you didn't bin it too early :whistle:
    "It began badly with much creaking and squeaking. Just as I was about to return it after approx 300 km the noises stopped and have not returned.
    It is undoubtedly stylish and getting more comfortable by the day. It promises to be a very good saddle, but the creaking still haunts me and I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't return."

Lol I tried 25's, they helped a bit but didn't solve the numb hands problem

4. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

As a mama of a three-year-old, baby wipes are a miraculous multi-functional necessity of life! They even clean up countertops and car interiors well!

HLaB likes this.
  5. Brandane

Brandane Rain magnet.

A not very comprehensive list of cycle related items that lie unused, or replaced by better quality items:

Several pumps. Just buy a Joe Blow track pump and Lezyne frame pumps in the first place.
    Several battery powered lights. Just buy good quality Lezyne rechargeable lights in the first place.
    Errrm; no-one mentioned the "H" word yet? Got 2 of them gathering dust.
    Cycling magazines. They look nice on the shelves of WH Smith. Leave them there.
    Cheap tubes; they are cheap for a reason.
    Cheap brake pads; they are cheap for a reason. Ditto cables.
    In fact, cheap anything - they are cheap for a reason.
    Bib tights; they catch my raspberry ripples causing much pain by the end of a long ride.

Edit to add:
    Garmin Edge Explore 820. Far too expensive for what it is, and so user unfriendly that it IS going to end up in a canal one of these days.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2018
    PBB and Slick like this.
  6. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

whats the "H" word ??

7. Brandane

Brandane Rain magnet.

'elmet.

Salty seadog and roadrash like this.
  8. Slick

Slick Veteran

Don't do it.:laugh:

Brandane likes this.
  9. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Blimey - I'd forgotten buying Marathon + tyres (or have I just blanked them from my mind?)
    They can definitely go on the list! ^_^

byegad, jefmcg and vickster like this.
  10. Drago

Drago Guru

A Lance Armstrong race top. Since buying it all I've wanted to do is take drugs and chop off one of my plums.

11. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

It's great how we are all different, marathon plus tyres are one of my best buys.

12. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

Sadly I think the Brompton was a mistake.

Cheap brake blocks from Thailand.Only bought them there for convenience and having spares.I had brake failure one night and managed to rear end @Fnaar a moped at Aldgate @ 8mph one fateful night in 2014.Coupled with oil...wet and new rims on the back wheel.Front brake ineffective also...and worn.

Ditched them soon after and bough a bulk lot from ebay which actually work in the wet.

Fnaar likes this.
  13. IBarrett

IBarrett Senior Member

Purely out of curiosity in my search for n+1 and a Giant Defy owner what did you come up with as an alternative?
    Most bikes I look at seem to be dull and do nothing for me.
    Except tt bikes - now them I do like.

phillip scott and bpsmith like this.
  14. C R

C R Senior Member

I like it too.

Slick likes this.
  15. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

Possibly - I use chainsaw oil myself and don't much like the stickier (expensiver!) bike specific oil I've got on the bike shelf. Mainly the chain cleaner just seemed too much faff compared to mickling with a rag.

bpsmith likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice