What bike would you suggest I buy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quick bit of backround info. Last Thursday lunchtime I was involved in a small accident; I was cycling down a road and a car pulled out in front of me from a side road on my left and I collided with the bonnet. I half bounced/half slid across the car bonnet whilst my bike went on its own little journey down the road.

I came off alright (A couple of small grazes and slight aches.) but my bike is an economic write off so it looks like I'll be getting a new bike. I've had the same bike for about the last 2-2.5 years now (A Kona Dew hybrid.) and am tempted to go for the same make & model again because I personally like the Kona Dew's but I'm am thinking that a change may be nice; I'm thinking that a road bike would possibly be a nice thing.

I'll be using my bike for a 6 mile round trip/5 day a week commute. I also aim to go out on a bike ride once a week somewhere in the region of 50-100 miles; the closer to 100 miles the better :smile: My bike rides are all on road bike rides; I've got a mountain bike for any off road bike rides I want to do. My budget for my new bike will be up to about £500.

What bicycle would you guys recommend? I'm not sure whether to stick to hybrid or to go for a road bike for a change. I live in a reasonably hilly area so will want something that is good for hills.

Eddie

Road bike all the way. Faster, lighter, varied hand position of drop bars. There is no reason not to.

In terms of which bike, all the usual suspects Allez, Giant Defy, Boardman. I'd be tempted to push the budget a bit and get something with at least Tiagra. Make sure you get a carbon fork too, it will make a difference to your comfort.

OP
OP
Jefferson Meriwether
Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup: I've had a very quick google look at them and so far like the look of the Giant Defy's and the Triban 3's that I've seen; I'll have a proper look at all the suggestions tomorrow over a cup of coffee :smile:

defy-one

Defy 3 or Triban. Easy choice. For those sorts of trips you would be made not to go for a roadie :-)

OP
OP
Jefferson Meriwether
Bit of an update. I was really tempted to buy a Triban 3 but ended up buying a Forme Longcliffe 4.0 from my LBS; I've put the Triban 3 on my list of potential purchases in the future. My LBS very kindly did a good deal for me as I'm a regular customer there.

I picked it up last Saturday afternoon and rode it home. It took a bit of getting used to as I haven't had a drop handlebar bike since I was a teenager but I soon started to enjoy it. After work on Saturday I cycled the 26 miles to North Curry (To help out at the Exmouth Exodus half way food stop.) and part way home the next day so have already done a few miles on it. I really like it and am happy with my purchase :smile:

Once again, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Top Bottom