What bits are worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

Starting out, so building up the kit...
Have noticed some of the specific cycling kit is eye-wateringly expensive (so a tight Yorkshireman thinks anyway) for what it is. Come up with a quick worth the extra cost for specific cycling gear / not worth it and can use other sporty clothing alternatives list.

Worth cost
- jersey (pockets essential)
- Gillet / Rain jacket (especially if bright)
- Gloves (actually quite cheap)
- Padded shorts (although they do seem expensive still)

Rip-off
- Velcro (thought I'd get in there first)
- Cycling socks (£15 a pair!! - got some trainer socks and they do me fine...)
- Bib shorts (do normal shorts fall down that much?)

Anyone got anything else they'd add?

AndyRM

XOXO
Keep an eye on sales and Aldi specials for cheaper kit. Personally I prefer bibs to shorts and you can get a decent pair from Wiggle's DHB range for £30.

What socks were you buying?! I got a 3 pack of socks I use for cycling and running from Start Fitness. Think I paid £5...

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Have you tried bib shorts? I'd put them well up above a gillet in terms of worth.

I must admit I haven't so can't comment on how good they are and I might be converted. Perhaps just seen the wrong ones as the ones I saw had 5-digits (including pence)

simongt

Guru
Can't get on with bib shorts / leggings for the simple reason, if you get caught short on a ride, it's a half strip off to get at the necessary 'article'. Not much fun on a cold day - ! :cold:

S-Express

Worth cost
- jersey (pockets essential)
- Gillet / Rain jacket (especially if bright)
- Gloves (actually quite cheap)
- Padded shorts (although they do seem expensive still)

I don't think you've really thought this through. Are you saying a £15 DHB gilet and a £100 Castelli gilet are both 'worth the cost'? Same with jerseys, same with gloves, same with padded shorts.

And your contention that bib shorts are 'not worth the cost' - despite never actually having tried them - is a bit odd, to say the least.

AndyRM

XOXO
You just pull the front down and you are away

If it's good enough for the pro's...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You just pull the front down and you are away
Looks pretty simple,

1-fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

I don't think you've really thought this through. Are you saying a £15 DHB gilet and a £100 Castelli gilet are both 'worth the cost'? Same with jerseys, same with gloves, same with padded shorts.

And your contention that bib shorts are 'not worth the cost' - despite never actually having tried them - is a bit odd, to say the least.

I just got thinking (as it's raining a lot perhaps and bored) about what bits of "cycling gear" are needed and what bits aren't. I admit I've not tried bib shorts but for me a winter/bright and decent cycling-specific jersey and a rain jacket is more essential than bib shorts.
LIkewise, I'm sure I could do a long ride without them and without specific cycling socks but I'd be in trouble without a proper jersey and pockets and padded shorts.

S-Express

I just got thinking (as it's raining a lot perhaps and bored) about what bits of "cycling gear" are needed and what bits aren't. I admit I've not tried bib shorts but for me a winter/bright and decent cycling-specific jersey and a rain jacket is more essential than bib shorts.
LIkewise, I'm sure I could do a long ride without them and without specific cycling socks but I'd be in trouble without a proper jersey and pockets and padded shorts.

The point I'm making is that all of the things in that list can be bought for either budget prices, or premium prices. You don't need to pay £15 for cycle socks, it's possible to pay well under a fiver for a decent pair if you shop around. So £15 socks may indeed be a 'rip-off' to you, but that doesn't mean they all are.

I can honestly say I have never bought a pair of cycle-specific socks.

Is this a road thing ?
I must admit to having bought rather a lot although of sensible brands at sensible prices. Cycle socks are one of the most overpriced things going, but there are plenty of folks prepared to buy them for perceived advantage.

Top Bottom