What bits are worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of cycle-specific kit...
Gloves,fingerless, MTB protective and waterproof ones.
Waterproof Jacket and a Gillet
Waterproof trousers
Overshoes
leg warmers
Padded shorts - both baggy ones and Lycra (live with it)
Shoes - both SPDs and casual (although I also wear the casual ones off bike too)

However things like socks I just use normal trainer socks - or rugby socks in the winter.
All my base layers are rugby ones too.
My winter boots are snow boots I bought from a catalogue on offer - several years ago

S-Express

All my base layers are rugby ones too.

That doesn't make them cheap. You can pay up to £70 for a Canterbury, Under Armour or Skins 'rugby' base layer. Or you can buy the excellent Aldi 'cycling' base layers for about a fiver.

Rugby socks (ffs) are no more or less expensive than many cycling socks.

chr15b

Über Member
One important thing is to ensure you are comfortable in whatever you wear. I might look ridiculous in my budget Aldi/BTwin mix but I feel comfortable and can happily wear it for some lengthy rides.

Threevok

That doesn't make them cheap. You can pay up to £70 for a Canterbury, Under Armour or Skins 'rugby' base layer. Or you can buy the excellent Aldi 'cycling' base layers for about a fiver.

Rugby socks (ffs) are no more or less expensive than many cycling socks.

It depends on where you buy them from and when - they don't have to be a big brand name .
Bottom line Canterbury start around a tenner or less (even at peak times) if you shop around.
I'd never pay £70 for a base layer ever and I would never buy Skins - overpriced crap.

If you want short sleeve ones - buy them in the winter - If you want long sleeve ones - buy them in the summer
You can usually get two (or even three) for one in places like Lovell Rugby and even Sports Direct
Also try specific rugby team gear. For example - A lot of my base layers and socks are Ospreys (or Wales) branded, but from one or two seasons ago - which are sold off for peanuts because they don't match the new kit out (especially if they have switched suppliers).

I got several Kooga power shirts from them for £3 each when they were switching to BLK. Now they have switched to Canterbury, all the BLK stuff was sold off cheap too.

Jody

Stubborn git
However things like socks I just use normal trainer socks - or rugby socks in the winter.

Although expensive waterproof socks like seal skinz make a massive difference on MTB rides when you know the trails aren't dry.

Threevok

Although expensive waterproof socks like seal skinz make a massive difference on MTB rides when you know the trails aren't dry.

I just fill my boots, man :angel:

The mud and water run out of my MTB shoes just as quickly as it runs in. Easy to clean with a hose too when I get home.

I also wear my snow boots when it's too muddy for shoes

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Starting out, so building up the kit...
Have noticed some of the specific cycling kit is eye-wateringly expensive (so a tight Yorkshireman thinks anyway) for what it is. Come up with a quick worth the extra cost for specific cycling gear / not worth it and can use other sporty clothing alternatives list.

Worth cost
- jersey (pockets essential)
- Gillet / Rain jacket (especially if bright)
- Gloves (actually quite cheap)
- Padded shorts (although they do seem expensive still)

Rip-off
- Velcro (thought I'd get in there first)
- Cycling socks (£15 a pair!! - got some trainer socks and they do me fine...)
- Bib shorts (do normal shorts fall down that much?)

Anyone got anything else they'd add?
Part of the answers lie in the kind of cycling you intend to do.

For me a good pair of bib shorts are worth spending money on. Why bibs? They help keep the pad in place and if you have an aerobelly there is no restricting waistband.

Jersey, any reasonable priced one will be fine. A thin holey undervest helps a lot.

Gilets are a favourite of mine and a cheap one with a breathable/mesh back is fine.

Armwarmers are a very adaptable bit if kit.

Socks, apart from sealskinz waterproof ones, then any will do as long as your feet don't get too sweaty.

Waterproof jacket - if your planning to be in foul weather a long was from home ir's worth spending for the best you can get.
Ditto neoprene overshoes.
Ditto waterproof/warm winter gloves

Reactions: mjr

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Thinsulate , kept me going last year on my MTB .. during the winter autumnal months ..
Especially a good waterproof coat too , plenty sales going on right now , tredz , wiggle , etc etc ..

Gloves (actually quite cheap)
I have lots of things on both your lists, but for me this is the only essential. If I am going on my bike to meet friends, I will dress for the destination, so no cycle specific kit. But always gloves, because if you happen to come off, you** are very likely to put your hand out to break your fall, and gloves turn a walk-it-off moment to a A&E visit to clean and bandage your torn palm.

DAMHIKT.

**ok, maybe not you, but certainly me. I have broken both arms due to putting my hand out in a non-cycling fall.

Just... No.
It's a satire

"It's important to have the right gear," Coseglia said to Washburn, who doesn't know the brand name of any of the socks in his dresser drawer, and mentally separates them into two categories: dress socks and regular socks. "I see people out there who don't know what they're doing, and I'm like, 'You can't just get on a bike and start riding it.' That's why I got that [$235] bike helmet the other day with the extra protective polymer."

Jody

Stubborn git
I just fill my boots, man :angel:

The mud and water run out of my MTB shoes just as quickly as it runs in. Easy to clean with a hose too when I get home.

I also wear my snow boots when it's too muddy for shoes

Braver than I am. Can't stand wet and cold feet

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In the winter Merino socks - and I've bought some excellent ones from Aldi in the past, for not very much. I didn't believe they kept your feet (relatively) warm when wet until I cycled through floods a couple of winters ago - and they did!

Top Bottom