What bits are worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
This is the third post I have made about these today (lol), but you can get cheap ones from Pearl Izumi (a venerable cycling brand). http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/shop/outlet/outlet-ride/outlet-road/mens/bib-shorts-bib-tights.

I've just got the women's version of the Attack. Seems decent.

Funny you should mention them - my MTB SPDs are Perlizumi. They are starting to crack around the toes now, but I have had them since 2007. Wouldn't mind getting another pair from them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Various gloves, mitts and packable rainwear are amongst the most worthwhile for cycling - both showerproof summer weight and the full waterproof winter stuff that will poach you if you wear it in summer. I like Rainlegs keeping enough of the legs dry to keep warm and keep working without the rustle-rustle-rustle of waterproof trousers (which I still use if I need to be smart and not just use the cape for some reason but they're slooow to put on and take off).

Roubaix jackets (wind/waterproof front, fleecy-but-breathable back/arms) are brilliant for spring and autumn (4-16°c IMO), with arctic fleece for colder than that (with a waterproof on top if raining, else it can get heavy as it soaks up water) - ice tyres are worth it if you're going to ride when it's that cold, too - and you can get loads of coats now in nice colours so it's not making you look like an alien space lemon that motorists can ignore while cycling or uglying up your destination.

Lots of the general-purpose technical fabrics are good. Merino is sadly well worth its relatively high prices - it compresses down small, stays warm when wet and seems fairly stink-resistant when it dries. Bamboo-based fabrics seem fairly good but not quite as good.

Rip-offs IMO: cycling shoes with blanking plates (don't work because the plate and sole don't flex alike - if you don't clip in, buy other sports shoes), cycling socks (too short, too thin), all padded shorts whether bib or not (pad one saddle correctly, not every pair of pants).

The Onion is an excellent source of humour.
It ain't what it used to be - it's a bad comment on the low quality of the cycling press that the article wasn't universally spotted as satire, though!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Various gloves, mitts and packable rainwear are amongst the most worthwhile for cycling - both showerproof summer weight and the full waterproof winter stuff that will poach you if you wear it in summer. I like Rainlegs keeping enough of the legs dry to keep warm and keep working without the rustle-rustle-rustle of waterproof trousers (which I still use if I need to be smart and not just use the cape for some reason but they're slooow to put on and take off).

Roubaix jackets (wind/waterproof front, fleecy-but-breathable back/arms) are brilliant for spring and autumn (4-16°c IMO), with arctic fleece for colder than that (with a waterproof on top if raining, else it can get heavy as it soaks up water) - ice tyres are worth it if you're going to ride when it's that cold, too - and you can get loads of coats now in nice colours so it's not making you look like an alien space lemon that motorists can ignore while cycling or uglying up your destination.

Lots of the general-purpose technical fabrics are good. Merino is sadly well worth its relatively high prices - it compresses down small, stays warm when wet and seems fairly stink-resistant when it dries. Bamboo-based fabrics seem fairly good but not quite as good.

Rip-offs IMO: cycling shoes with blanking plates (don't work because the plate and sole don't flex alike - if you don't clip in, buy other sports shoes), cycling socks (too short, too thin), all padded shorts whether bib or not (pad one saddle correctly, not every pair of pants).

It ain't what it used to be - it's a bad comment on the low quality of the cycling press that the article wasn't universally spotted as satire, though!
Regarding the shoes, some cycling specific shoes (with SPD capability) have a section of sole which has to be cut out with a craft knife in order to fit cleats (I've got a pair of Specialized with this feature) if you don't cut out this oval portion the sole is full.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worlds best invention - waterproof MTB boots (or road shoes). Fabulous, if expensive.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Lots of people recommend buying cycle clothing in the sales. I do that too.

But look carefully at the available colours. I didn't, hence I clash.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I must admit to having bought rather a lot although of sensible brands at sensible prices. Cycle socks are one of the most overpriced things going, but there are plenty of folks prepared to buy them for perceived advantage.
Buy ski socks. You can use them for walking as well. Just roll them down if you are wearing shorts and enjoy the warmth if it's winter. Four pairs for about a tenner somewhere on Ebay.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Buy ski socks. You can use them for walking as well. Just roll them down if you are wearing shorts and enjoy the warmth if it's winter. Four pairs for about a tenner somewhere on Ebay.
Was just in Poundland and they had "flight socks" for 50p. Though I suspect wearing two pairs of socks would not saw your feet in half any faster.

Top Bottom