What bottom bracket for my old ralegh flyer frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jack Moulsdale

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but at the beginning of this year i bought a 501 didn't change the bb and bought shitty replacement parts off of ebay. Doing 80+ miles a week its started to die. I am building a new bike, recently bought a donor bike, a raleigh flyer and it had bmx cranks on it, i stripped it completely to get it painted. Now i need to put a new bb and crankset on it. Does anyone have any recommendations of bb size and mid range crank set for my SS?
Thanks
Sorry for being a complete noobie. I'll post pictures of the frame all powder coated up

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What crankset have you got ?

OP
OP
J

Jack Moulsdale

no crankset purchased yet. It now seems like a dumbass move to not buy the crankset first haha. so are all british threads the same size? I was thinking of buying a campag crankset but dunno really. payday friday and it all kicks off

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
More than likely it will be a 68mm shell unless it is an Italian frame where they will be 73mm

For my fixed conversion I used a UN55 68 x 108 BB (about £ 18 from my LBS) which gives me the ideal chain line. This is a square taper BB with the 108 being the spindle length.

Loads more information and parts here at Velosolo which are great for all things fixed / singlespeed

zigzag

Veteran
52t is a good and versatile chainring size for a typical ss bike. i run 52x20 for normal riding, and 52x16 when i want to go fast (like today):

photo%252817%2529.jpg

regarding bottom bracket - it depends what type of chainset you have and where the chainring is attached, inside or outside

OP
OP
J

Jack Moulsdale

thanks alot, thats given me motivation to see the 52t through. And gorgeous bike btw the way. this is the crafty bugger
$T2eC16Z,!zQFIcGswEzDBSK0744)yw~~60_58.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jack Moulsdale

sorry i'll post some actual bike photos now haha, this is my daily at the minute
533248_10151691178938568_1561788697_n.jpg

then i picked up this 50 bargain flyer
1011515_10151691179073568_586670951_n.jpg

and because i've stripped it down and got it powder coated i feel i need to do it justice
533259_10151691179148568_914415782_n.jpg

flying start

Veteran
Don't really have any input on this but I'm thinking of building a ss for commuting over the winter

Would like to keep a eye on how you get on post pics of your bike when finished mate ; )

Top Bottom