What Camera (still pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In fact, £80 will tend to buy you something a bit on the bulky side - it'll have a 16x zoom +/-, which may not be ideal. If I was looking for what you're looking for, I'd definitely buy one of these, for which the going rate seems to be about £20. I have one, and it's a cracking bit o' kit. I've scaled this down to 25% of its original size:
beach.jpg

Here's a close-up blowup, to show what the thing's capable of.

beach2.jpg

Don't let the price tag fool you. People don't want them, because they're busy boasting pixels and zoom ratios with their flea-brained chums, but if you want a simple, reasonably lightweight (tho' metal-bodied, so well-protected) camera with a superb lens, you really can't go wrong.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I think maybe second hand is the way to go here. I have a little Samsung st66 which was about £120 2 years ago (so probably about £50 now!) which I bought for when I go out and yes, it isn't as good as my dslr but it does take reasonable pictures and is very small and fits into my tiny energy gel puch that I keep on the bike.

I would avoid budget Fujifilm cameras, I have always been disappointed with the picture quality.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Fair point derrick - i will spend around £100 and let's hope the OP will also after reading this thread

I could go to £100, I could go a bit higher, but it is mainly for out and about on the bike so if i dropped it damaged it or its gets wet it wont matter, hence £80 tops.

Doseone

Guru
Most of the cameras around the £100 mark will have a 1/2.3" sensor, so you really need to list the features that you want the most then find the camera that ticks the most boxes for you.
EG Do you want wide angle or zoom, 1080 video, battery life, tough/ waterproof etc etc.

You can actually get a 1/2.3" sensor camera for a lot less than £100 but it may have a few less features that perhaps you don't need anyway.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I have a

Lumix LS5

Cost me, a few beers :becool:

Product Information
A Panasonic LS5 Digital Camera provides resolution of 14.1 megapixels from a RGB CCD image sensor that measures 6.08 x 4.56 mm. The image sensor on a Panasonic LS5 14.1 MP Digital Camera, coupled with a 5x digital zoom lens plus a 26 mm equivalent wide-angle, further provides clear images. Traditionally a 14.1 MP digital camera provides more pixels than cameras with lesser pixel capacity; however, this model also adds to the image quality by providing image stabilisation to prevent the slightest blur from ruining a photo. The lens on a Panasonic LS5 Digital Camera has a two-step aperture that provides F2.8 and F7.9 wide-angle images or a F6.5 and F18.4 image with a telephoto aspect. To focus, a minimum distance of 15 centimetres is required for wide-angle images and 60 centimetres for telephoto images when using a Panasonic LS5 Digital Camera. Weighing only about 0.45 kilograms, the Panasonic LS5 14.1 MP Digital Camera is a light enough option to carry around a wrist or pack in a purse.
Product Identifiers
BrandPanasonic
ModelDMC-LS5
EAN5025232646869, 885170065147
Key Features
Camera TypeCompact
Optical Zoom5x
Digital Zoom4x
Sensor Resolution14.1 MP
Screen Size2.7"
Memory / Storage
Integrated Memory size10 MB
Supported Flash MemorySD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
Dimensions
Depth2.72 cm
Height6.2 cm
Width9.55 cm
Weight126 gr
Display
Display TypeLCD
Display Size2.7"
Connections
HDMI OutputNo
Resolution
Max Video Resolution1280 x 720

So if it is crap, i dont care lol.

Kies

Now you got me looking at the panasonic lumix TZ40 :angry:
Great camera mind !!!!

byegad

Legendary Member
I've had a Samsung WP10 for a few years and it really is good. Waterproof it routinely sits between my outer layer and inner and works every time.

Top Bottom