What can't you live without?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My guns. With societal collapse imminent I'm sitting pretty.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Notebooks for doodling in.
I have always liked scribbling in notebooks and on scraps of paper but inevitably seem to end up losing them, or when I try to go back to refer to what I had scribbled I can't remember where the scribbling was done.

These days I usually use my laptop instead. I either type notes, or use a drawing package to try out ideas, for example...

Boards.png

(Examples of how a particular algorithm might partially fill a grid for a game.)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm the same - I have a DAB radio in every room of the house, plus one in the shed, a pocket DAB for use on the bike and another small portable one kept in the car for use at race circuits to pick up the commentary.
DAB is great but 648khz medium wave where you are is where it’s at,

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not literally. What I mean is, what so adds to the value of your average day that you would be in mourning as a consumer were it to be snatched away?
I'm confused. I think i'm right in assuming you mean stuff/things you'd miss if those things weren't available again. Many posters are telling of things they already have and don't buy on a regular basis. Is the question about things you buy regularly and would miss if they weren't for sale(like beer,which one poster mentioned),or about things you have and would miss,but not necessarily if you couldn't replace them(like a bass guitar,which another poster mentioned)?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Family
Bikes,
Tools, i would be lost without them.
My Naim HiFi.
The other half.😁

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm confused. I think i'm right in assuming you mean stuff/things you'd miss if those things weren't available again. Many posters are telling of things they already have and don't buy on a regular basis. Is the question about things you buy regularly and would miss if they weren't for sale(like beer,which one poster mentioned),or about things you have and would miss,but not necessarily if you couldn't replace them(like a bass guitar,which another poster mentioned)?
I was thinking about something you have which adds pleasure to your day, and would miss if for whatever reason it was taken from you – or even never invented (so logically you couldn’t miss it, but now that you’ve had a taste of the technology, you would). For example, my Shuffle(s), since it’s no longer made, will eventually die (though if I’m lucky, somebody out there will be able to replace the battery, but that’s neither here nor there). The years prior to the invention of the MP3 player, I listened to a portable tape deck. I took one on my first end-to-end in 1997. It’s a perfectly good technology. But iPods, for me at least, are soooo much better that it would almost be physically painful to have to go back.

Another example might be my smartphone. Now, that’s something I’ve gotten quite used to, primarily for looking stuff up when I’m out (e.g., reviews when I’m, well, shopping); and it also has some utility for me as an alarm clock, occasional torch, etc. I don’t happen to use many apps, and don’t make many calls, but a dumb mobile phone would serve that particular purpose fine. On the other hand, it’s arguable that smartphones are a great public nuisance. I’m not going to make that argument here, but have wondered just how much I, personally would miss it; probably not as much as someone using it for, say Be My Eyes, which is a truly marvellous app of particular relevance as my wife has glaucoma.

Ultimately, it may not be a subject entirely conducive to logic, but I appreciate your applying it…

In these times, it’s natural people are thinking of what’s truly important, but I’m happy to admit it wasn’t a particularly important question.

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My KEF R500's. I didn't realise what spending a bit more on speakers could actually achieve. I had to buy a more powerful amp to get the most of them. When I lived in the middle of nowhere I destroyed 3 of the woofers. Cost £125 each to replace. I don't regret a single minute of it or the cost. It's the only material thing I really am bothered about. I take full responsibilty and don't really care as it was fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20200326_000702.jpg
    IMG_20200326_000702.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was thinking about something you have which adds pleasure to your day, and would miss if for whatever reason it was taken from you – or even never invented (so logically you couldn’t miss it, but now that you’ve had a taste of the technology, you would). For example, my Shuffle(s), since it’s no longer made, will eventually die (though if I’m lucky, somebody out there will be able to replace the battery, but that’s neither here nor there.) The years prior to the invention of the MP3 player, I listened to a portable tape deck. I took one on my first end-to-end in 1997. It’s a perfectly good technology. But iPods, for me at least, are soooo much better that it would almost be physically painful to have to go back.

Another example might be my smartphone. Now, that’s something I’ve got quite used to, primarily for looking stuff up when I’m out (e.g., reviews when I’m, well, shopping); and it also has some utility for me as an alarm clock, occasional torch, etc. I don’t happen to use many apps, and don’t make many calls, but a dumb mobile phone would serve that particular purpose fine. On the other hand, it’s arguable that smartphones are a great public nuisance. I’m not going to make that argument here, but have wondered just how much I, personally would miss it; probably not as much as someone using it for, say Be My Eyes, which is a truly marvellous app of particular relevance as my wife has glaucoma.

Ultimately, it may not be a subject entirely conducive to logic, but I appreciate your applying it…

In these times, it’s natural people are thinking of what’s truly important, but I’m happy to admit it wasn’t a particularly important question.
I wasn't having a go at you. I just thought the thread was being 'hijacked'(not necessarily intentionally)by not really relevant posts that take over the thread and in doing so spoil the thread by not giving specific answers to the question.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom