What cleaning product do you use to wash your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cleaning...hmm...:scratch:

vickster

Legendary Member
You just buy another bike when one gets dirty do you not? :laugh:
Precisely 👍
To be fair, my bikes don’t really get very dirty. I avoid riding in the rain and don’t go off road, and they either have mudguards or are used only on dry days (or sits on the turbo).
I did buy a bottle of muc off several years ago, it’s about 80% full

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Anything that's to hand, Ecover washing up liquid/ or whatever is in, and a degreaser for the chain, cassette etc. I've got some of Halfords own Muc off and disk brake cleaner from Wilkinson's.
I use finish line wet lube on all the chain and some silicon shine on the frame. I've never had any problems from using washing up liquid ever on a bike.

thanks.
wondering what the difference in effectiveness between that and @PaulSB 's white spirit?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-decorator-white-spirit-750ml/p/2699140

Can Paul or anyone tell me?

Have always shied away from liquid stuff as am no chemist and have been concerned about possible effects on brake blocks and, more particularly, tryes.

Any of those substances a problem?

At the moment I tend to sometimes use some heavy duty wipes I got from Aldi, but I suppose with those you are just paying for small essences of stuff and a load of wipe filler.

Degrease the chain rings, cassette and chain, car shampoo* for washing, thorough rinse with cold water, dry off and polish with Mr Sheen.
Don't understand why you need to degrease the chain rings and cassette to be honest paul.
Chainrings (bits I can get at - every couple of years or so I may take them off for a better clean) I just wipe clean with an old oily rag. Cassette I just clean between the cogs by passing a bit of old rag (bit of old shirt with a hem best) back and forth between them - as the cassette turns only one way, then locks for the return pass, everything gets cleaned well enough. Takes no time - all functionally clean.
And if you use degreaser in those areas isn't there a chance of problems with the BB or hub, unless with the latter you are removing the cassette?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
thanks.
wondering what the difference in effectiveness between that and @PaulSB 's white spirit?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-decorator-white-spirit-750ml/p/2699140

Can Paul or anyone tell me?

Have always shied away from liquid stuff as am no chemist and have been concerned about possible effects on brake blocks and, more particularly, tryes.

Any of those substances a problem?

At the moment I tend to sometimes use some heavy duty wipes I got from Aldi, but I suppose with those you are just paying for small essences of stuff and a load of wipe filler.

I have a 500ml bottle of Isopropyl alcohol which I use for cleaning discs and / or (only when they get squeally and therefore probably contaminated). It has no effect on brake blocks or pads, once you wipe the metal surface clean it evaporates off in seconds so there's nothing left to transfer on to your pads anyway.
I bought it from Amazon ("Haz" brand, about 6 pounds delivered I think). It's useful for all sorts, cleaning electronics, cleaning camera lenses, disinfecting surfaces, I've even treated house plant infestations. You don't need to be wary of it, it's fairly benign stuff and won't eat the bike away.

screenman

Legendary Member
Rather than Isopropyl which many guys in my trade use I prefer brake cleaner for the same uses. I tend to buy it in aerosol form at about £2.50 for 400ml.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Blue Hills I can't comment on any product other than white spirit. A buddy told me 20+ years ago he did it and it seemed a good idea. I soak a cotton rag and run my finger round the rim a couple of times with the bike vertical. It evaporates in seconds. The cloth is usually filthy and I'd hazard a guess what I'm cleaning off is much more likely to damage brake blocks.

You are quite right about the chain rings and cassette. I only do this when needed which might be every 2-3 months. Starting with a scrupulously clean set up and correct lube the need to clean these is minimal. I keep lube to a minimum, Mickle method, wipe chain with an oily rag after every ride and lube when needed. If it's been a really dirty ride I'll squirt the cassette and chain rings with the garden hose.

I clean my cassette and chain rings as you describe except I have a nicely shaped brush to get deep in to the cassette.

I don't subscribe to the worries people express about damaging chemical getting into the BB etc. Two reasons; I apply any chemical carefully to the area where it's needed and secondly I leave such on the bike for the minimum time and wash off with the garden hose ASAP.

Overall I feel I'm much more likely to pick up damaging stuff from the road surface than careful washing.

I am a bit anal about clean bikes!! 😂

Top Bottom