What cleaning product do you use to wash your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh yes with rim brakes wipe the rims with white spirit. In winter I do this after every ride at the same time as I wipe the chain with an oily wrag.
White spirits leave a residue. Meths is a better solvent that dries leaving only traces of purple dye.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
This takes bike cleaning to another level:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Gz4_2a_T4

mustang1

Guru
Actually today I learned that many products, not just washing up liquid, contain salt and that's not the reason to not use washing up liquid but i cannot recall the reason why you shouldn't, so i don't. I hope that long convoluted sentence made sense, I'm not gonna write it again.

Anyway, what do I use? Uhm, I have various Muc Off products. TBH IDK what's what any more, i just plonk some stuff on and then rinse it off. Sometimes I even use a sponge on the frame but that's rare these days. I havent ridden my good bikes for a long time and of course they will get better treatment.

What I do rather enjoy is taking my filthy mud and crap MTB to the gas station and using their jet wash. It has a lance and a foam brush and a bunch of different buttons such as Foam Wash, Pressure Wax, Rinse the Wax, Pressure Wash, Final Rinse. I just whack in a couple of quid and go through the buttons starting at the top. Just ensure no water is sprayed directly into the parts where the bearings are. Then I get home and put on some chain lube.

Trickedem

Guru
1606221926958.png

I normally give my bikes a hose off when I first get back. I then use this mixed 40:60 with water in a spray dispenser. Leave it on for 5 minutes or so, then hose off. This really gets the worst dirt off, although I will do a more thorough clean if I am cycling with @ianrauk :rolleyes:

I may well look for an old shirt.
:smile:
doesn't gave to be yours.
old underwear (anyones) also good - it's best as I say if you have a hem - stops the material fraying/catching - slot it between each pair of cogs - back and forth - the hub "ratchet" does the moving around for you - takes no time at all. gets any bits out.

(such is bike marketing I did see some enterprising company selling "bike floss" for something between a fiver and a tenner - maybe someone else had the old underpants/old shirts brandings globally registered)

Just had this delivered. Not a bad little set of brushes for cheap Chinese stuff. A big pack of microfibre cloths from ebay too that I thought might be thin rubbish but seem surprisingly decent quality.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C96GX65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can buy the red and blue things separately from china - I have one of each - blue one kept clean for final brushing of cleaned chain as it hangs on the washing line.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Do you have a link/source for a cheap supply of that alcohol for the rims?
I use washing up liquid but might be faster with that - i have to do several passes.
I assume it doesn't do the brake pads any harm?
As for washing the bike, haven't done it for years. Wipe with an oily rag if needed. I ride mostly roads, no MTBing.
Pretty much all the electronic suppliers stock it because it's used for cleaning circuit boards. The cheapest place to buy modest quantities is eBay....about £6-7 per litre including postage. Lookee here....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-IPA-99-9-Pure-1L-1-Litre-Cleaner-UK/133504451669?epid=2312415516&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1f157c4455:g:YxEAAOSwwL5fkrr3&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkBUIiHwYv5YgVss0WaiENz0Zhy%2Bb2kVqbZq2pSBQrEgmbNamW1FoQwZprUY%2BwA9rYIluUc6zuRARJi9g7xIkKdw6GLcb5GsHGe6ilGuVyxSXSGAD1KZOczQNfD4lWj0yPOWvfcrUl6h9n0LI7OC7hHnspyj9CzJ3%2BsJh2MJl8e%2BkzaCPO4xtsJ6KL9dKDfdK0TcMIaEeZdj1P3emLH3F%2B5YkauzIMicYzQRCwftAZZZgGyIOVU%2BafVubyLKhM0oOj8Zq3MLK7YJu7H3GBkq1V%2F0LCdztE05K5%2FoBapNfx28%2Bdqh4QHSVyHQ%2BEMXvPCW8mjLBbYsCUNBQtU9jG4PEJvTuWkO0IDWQSC4J58wEdvHR0XiA9eqAkTN2ZittJvtpPKWx1a7hMdfZrWNT8Z3Oea623SU8JIH3orQamBytoiLnyAJBsMSrRLJ1H6KofAVSoVkndjeTeP5qSIuldtBvisev4cXIbpIwjWSezYzUFaugozq7Y7IPPFcrNhPDCPBVwCFOIHSZmDA5iSrlxQekhJIO90k4NFLIO5XDMWMRrP6OW9ifGjN%2FUdnxUgRNewDTb5MqSGRzyC2oGAjPyw0NiKbFuF1ACVxjYk8ZcJMuzuGcB78QtOMQ52BKBjaGicfpQk%2FmKfUNZZhJ5d4rQ%2BIxeyy0qIgKSg3LW5R09q4zk1YKBPNMoayI7zS8c9vFKVYtwWgekb8Q1iaICKCP%2F3Fwe5%2Fcu1IkoiSECHtB3XyBn5WJ8hvfXN6Y6Ag9Qrb7e9J6UaODBdEqxNX6tpVU%2BnfaSGQ%3D%3D|cksum:13350445166906cc1f925812498692628e3b05a5498b|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

EDIT: Many apologies to @Mo1959. I was beaten to it!

Last edited:
Used Muc-off for years on motorbikes and now cycles. Brings them up well. Always polished motorbikes with Mr Sheen afterwards.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Actually today I learned that many products, not just washing up liquid, contain salt and that's not the reason to not use washing up liquid but i cannot recall the reason why you shouldn't, so i don't. I hope that long convoluted sentence made sense, I'm not gonna write it again.

Anyway, what do I use? Uhm, I have various Muc Off products. TBH IDK what's what any more, i just plonk some stuff on and then rinse it off. Sometimes I even use a sponge on the frame but that's rare these days. I havent ridden my good bikes for a long time and of course they will get better treatment.

What I do rather enjoy is taking my filthy mud and crap MTB to the gas station and using their jet wash. It has a lance and a foam brush and a bunch of different buttons such as Foam Wash, Pressure Wax, Rinse the Wax, Pressure Wash, Final Rinse. I just whack in a couple of quid and go through the buttons starting at the top. Just ensure no water is sprayed directly into the parts where the bearings are. Then I get home and put on some chain lube.
Muc-off also contains salt

Top Bottom