What Colours Do You See?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
View attachment 567319
The four swatches I took are:
Hue, Saturation, Value (Brightness)Red, Green, Blue

The "white laces" are brighter, but not hugely so. Those are predominantly green, but with a lot of blue.
The "pink" sections are dull, scarcely half brightness, with almost zero saturation. It's a massive leap to describe it as pink.

The human brain is wired into making leaps of faith, there is no data in this image that suggests a pink shoe with white trim - the only reference we have to infer colour information is the hand in the background. If you remove it and the rest of the background, the illusion goes away.

In the process of making this analysis my perception of the colour flipped. I hate bi-stable optical illusions.
In the darkest grey rectangle to the right of the shoe there seems to me to be a fair element of red. I'm surprised by how much blue there is overall, though.

In answer to the question, there's red in the grey and green in the white. The green has blue in it.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mint laces and trim, grey uppers with a slight pink tint in places over the toes.
Correct to my eyes

In the darkest grey rectangle to the right of the shoe there seems to me to be a fair element of red. I'm surprised by how much blue there is overall, though.

In answer to the question, there's red in the grey and green in the white. The green has blue in it.
There is objectively less red in the grey swatches than green or blue. Maybe the swatches aren't properly representative.
It's possible that your monitor's colour temperature settings are different from mine. But the presence of the blue-tinged image and the optical illusion really messes with overall colour perception.

I've never been able to see the dress as black and blue.

Top Bottom