What comes around goes around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
According to the late mike Burrows, the only genuine invention in the cycling world for many, many years was the SPD pedal.
He reckoned that every other 'new' development has been tried before, but the lack of suitable materials or understood techno caused it to fail.
Did he have a point - ? :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm sure this idea was going round only a few years ago.

Twilkes

Guru
Well I for one would love a chainless bicycle, I know that this was an almost daily occurrence for me on my commute:

1688177911845.png

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Well I for one would love a chainless bicycle, I know that this was an almost daily occurrence for me on my commute:

View attachment 697027

Good news! There are at least two feasible solutions!

You can get a chain guard.

You can get a belt driven bike.

Twilkes

Guru
The comments in this make for interesting reading, and further down the owner/creator doesn't do themselves any marketing favours, or indeed any favours with the law of physics.

The clip with the shoe weighing down the pedal is interesting, that's movement for not a lot of force, but they don't seem to get that four gears on any bike isn't really going to compete with the power/cadence range of even a 2x5 speed from decades ago. The lack of any substantive proof or even demonstration of the power benefits is a red flag.

It seems to attract ladies in bikini sports tops though so well worth £3k to me just for that.

edit: "There was so much power and torque going to the rear wheel, axles were literally twisting into pretzels." !!!!!

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru
And granted you can't sit down on it, but the Elliptigo at least made it into production and there are thousands of people out there using them:

Reactions: C R

byegad

Legendary Member
What a load of gunk

“With regular bikes, riders lose an estimated 60% of gravitational energy within each cycle. NuBike’s advanced vertical pedaling system provides continuous gravitational force throughout the entire stroke. The gravity advantage makes it possible for NuBike to pedal itself.”

So its a perpetual motion machine? I don't think so!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's an intriguing idea and I'd love to try one, however I remain dubious of the claims about "increased leverage and power" - while I'm not clever enough to fully debunk the kinematics involved, it sounds like someone doesn't know what they're talking about. The traditional chain-driven bike is very efficient; so where do they expect this additional power to be coming from?

Top Bottom