What comes close to a Boardman Performance Hybrid Pro?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
UK seems to have a downer on flat bars for some reason. In truth, how often do you see anybody on their drops?

Last time I was in Germany flat bars were all over the place.

Nothing wrong with flat bars and bar ends if they suit you from a fit and use perspective.

All the time! Use them a fair amount myself come to think of it!

Spongiform

well, I can recommend a montpellier, as I have a 2012 model, but the sterling is very similar and not much heavier. try that. it also comes in at your budget. I seriously looked at a boardman hybrid pro but ended up with the whyte bike instead.
Hi David
Found this old post by you referring to your Whyte Montpellier. Presently I'm trying to decide between the 2012 Montepellier (or even the Stirling) and a Boardman and I wondered if you know the inner rim width (ETRTO) as different tyre width is an important option. I know the Boarman is 622-18 and 17 is the cut off point for any size larger than 32. I was thinking of a 35 but won't really know till I've tried, but at least the option would be there. I've read somewhere that the Sterling will only take 32 max which if correct would seem to indicate a 15c rim width. I say all this given a limited understanding of tyre widths and rim fittings - I may be completely wrong:smile:. Your opinion on clearences would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Eric

David Haworth

Hi David
Found this old post by you referring to your Whyte Montpellier. Presently I'm trying to decide between the 2012 Montepellier (or even the Stirling) and a Boardman and I wondered if you know the inner rim width (ETRTO) as different tyre width is an important option.

Umm.. Dunno is my obvious answer. Is there something I can easily measure for you to let you know?

David

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It's not about being on the drops. Please read the thread.

is fair comment but we do seem to get hooked up on the idea of drops or something inferior in the UK. Others mention Germany above and I was in Rome last week and saw a lot of bikes on the Sunday morning including a Critical Mass type ride. I was struck by how few drop bars I saw even though there were lots in full lycra etc.

If you like using the drop part of drops then they are the only choice but if you only really ride on tops or hoods, like me, then there are other alternatives. For example you can put some stubby barends inboard of the grips and controls on flat bars. These weigh less than 70g a pair and will give you a narrow stretched out aero position for an alternate and headwinds. Positioned correctly you can still change gear and brake while using them. Combined with some normal barends you can end up with 3-4 good hand positions none of which are made uncomfortable to reach by an overly large section some of us seem to have between chest and legs :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi David
Found this old post by you referring to your Whyte Montpellier. Presently I'm trying to decide between the 2012 Montepellier (or even the Stirling) and a Boardman and I wondered if you know the inner rim width (ETRTO) as different tyre width is an important option. I know the Boarman is 622-18 and 17 is the cut off point for any size larger than 32. I was thinking of a 35 but won't really know till I've tried, but at least the option would be there. I've read somewhere that the Sterling will only take 32 max which if correct would seem to indicate a 15c rim width. I say all this given a limited understanding of tyre widths and rim fittings - I may be completely wrong:smile:. Your opinion on clearences would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Eric

Why not email Whyte and ask them - they have a phone number too

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/article.php/33/

Top Bottom