What comes close to a Boardman Performance Hybrid Pro?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AFCGrimace

Regular
Hi

I'm looking for some advice. After setting my heart the above, my employer has changed providers for our Cycle to work scheme.

So, overnight, I've gone from choosing from the Halfords range to having practically the whole market to choose from, but not Halfords. This must sound like a good thing to many, but the Boardman Performance Hybrid Pro has had such great reviews and appears to have such high spec that I'm having trouble settling for anything less.

My budget is £1,000 and so far I'm considering?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/flight-03-2013-hybrid-bike-ec043417#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-pro-2012-hybrid-bike-ec030744#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/moda/immer-2013-urban-hybrid-bike-ec044917#features (currently over budget)

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPFBFOR/planet_x_pro_carbon_sram_force_hybrid_bike

I'm looking for a road bike with flat bars and quite like the idea of trying disc brakes (though this isn't essential).

Thanks in advance...

jarlrmai

Veteran
You can spend more if you want buy paying upfront the difference between the bike price and the 1 grand they give you, then getting a quote for 1 grand to take to the scheme admin, this is is what I did to get my road bike.

OP
OP
A

AFCGrimace

Regular
Thanks jarlrmai!

Which company ran your scheme?

I'd heard the opposite with our old one. We're now with cyclescheme.co.uk.

e-rider

crappy member
Now that you have a wide choice why just look at the Evans website? What are you going to use this kind of bike for? It looks to me that this style of bike is just an expensive commuter for people with too much money!

400bhp

Guru
Wouldn't you be better off buying a road bike? I don't really see the point of expensive hybrids of the type you are looking at?

Robwiz

Regular
I agree with the suggestions about an expensive hybrid being pointless when a road bike offers more versatility. The Specialized Sirrus has a far more upright riding position than the Boardman.

The Moda road bikes have a loyal following and are a genuinely different option. (But I still think the Boardmans offer almost unbeatable value in road bikes – Triban 3 excepted!).

OP
OP
A

AFCGrimace

Regular
Some interesting comments - thanks.

What I'm actually looking for is something to replace my old Giant mountain bike. I've recently got into cycling in order to do last year's London to Brighton. I enjoyed the training and the event so much that I now want to do more.

But I also want the guys on the road bikes not to fly past me quite so quickly up the hill opposite where I live. I was looking at the Boardman Road bikes as the solution to this (along with a lot more training). I then saw that their £999 'hybrid' offering was so similar (you may disagree) and had the straight bars that I am used to, and in all honesty, would find more comfortable.

I'm now getting the impression that there's something fundamentally wrong with spending a reasonable amount of money on a straight barred bike. Forgive me, if I'm reading this wrong, but it seems a little snobby. On the other hand, if there is something wrong, impractical or illogical about it, please enlighten me - I really want to know this stuff. For example, why is a road bike more versatile?

One other thing, I'm certainly not fussed about Evans - any suggestions at all would be great.

Thanks again.

Robwiz

Regular
If you're riding long distances, you have more more options for where you put your hands on road bike bars – on the hoods, on the bar tops and the drops. It's just far more comfortable before you begin to take into account that on a road bike you can progress at the same speed for less effort or work as hard as you would on a hybrid and go faster.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no snobbery at all – it's a matter of practicality and efficiency. I have a cycling friend who doesn't view himself as a 'cyclist'. On principle, he has refused to buy a bike with drop bars (for touring) and advises anyone who asks him about bikes not to buy a bike with drops. He wants to distance himself from road bike culture.

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy whatever you like, if you want a high end flat bar bike, then that's up to you. Can always add bar ends for versatility :smile: Saying where you live will lead people to recommend retailers other than Evans

I have never ridden on the drops (it doesn't suit my cycling routes, physique and more importantly my gammy elbow), so in reality a bar ended hybrid is fine for me. However, I went road bike commuter for a change ultimately (with crossbrakes, so I ride hoods or bar). I don't think I go any quicker on my £800 RRP Giant than I would on an £800 hybrid. The carbon, probably I can, but it's not practical for commuting

OP
OP
A

AFCGrimace

Regular
Robwiz, are saying it's your body positioning on the road bike that makes it more efficient?

I understand what you mean about having a variaty of hand positions available. I've always had bar ends on my MTB and have thought about this for my new bike.

Vickster, that's pretty reassuring. Did you check out my link to the Planet X carbon? Is there much to fault with that do you think?

Oh, I'm just outside Sevenoaks, Kent.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have had a drool over the PX carbon myself...looks lush in red. Just make sure you have a couple of very solid D locks and insurance

The only thing with carbon frames is it can be quite difficult to fit mudguards and a full arack if it's to be used in inclement weather, for commuting or touring

The current object of my affection is this ... maybe a bit girly (not a problem for me) http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CWHY0137BB

Shame I can't cycle for another 3 months following surgery and nor do I need a new / another bike! :whistle:

Get a flatbar if that's what YOU want, there's always room for an N+1 roadbike for the spring should you feel the urge :evil:

RhythMick

Über Member
Learn from my experience. Get a bike fit first. The range of models and frame sizes that fit you should come directly out of the data from the fit.

12 months ago I was where you are, same budget, same enthusiasm. 2 months ago I ended up buying a different frame and swapping the components over after a detailed bike fit revealed why I'd spent 10 months being so uncomfortable.

In my view, unless you are really experienced or already know your fit, you shouldn't be choosing a bike from Web browsing.

Top Bottom