What cycling shoes to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

There are so many to choose from and the prices vary a lot. I want road cycling shoes, what should I look for when choosing road cycling shoes?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some that fit. Best trying some on.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to fit. Everyone's different.

For example I bought some lovely red kangaroo leather carbon-soled Fizik R3 shoes: looked gorgeous, fit was terrible.

Try different ones: Specialized and Shimano are good for wide feet, Sidi are popular, etc.

I just ordered some shimano xc501 and although SPD so not road specific I found the opening difficult to get my flipper in due to the wrap around design. Fit seemed ok once in for a wide foot but not as comfy sole as Giro and they are a bit narrow on me.
Not much help really. I have now returned Shimano for some Fizik and Northwave so let you know how they fit. I did order Sidi too but decided not to bother with them as only had one size so nothing to compare to

vickster

Legendary Member
There are so many to choose from and the prices vary a lot. I want road cycling shoes, what should I look for when choosing road cycling shoes?
What pedals do you have? Will you ever need to walk more than a few steps off the bike?
Have you read the clipless faq thread under the beginners forum?

vickster

Legendary Member
all the shops are closed
Bike shops aren’t.
If buying online, use a seller with free delivery and returns. Sigma sports have a very good range.
Buy your usual size and the size up :okay: return if no good

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

+1 to fit. Everyone's different.

For example I bought some lovely red kangaroo leather carbon-soled Fizik R3 shoes: looked gorgeous, fit was terrible.

Try different ones: Specialized and Shimano are good for wide feet, Sidi are popular, etc.
My feet aren't wide so wide fit is not something I look for, what price range should I look at? At what price can I get decent enough shoes?

vickster

Legendary Member
My feet aren't wide so wide fit is not something I look for, what price range should I look at? At what price can I get decent enough shoes?
Why not look on Sigma and Velovixen to start?
Have you ridden clipless before? Do you have pedals?
£50-100 will get decent shoes but fit is more important than cost

Top Bottom