What cycling shoes to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not returns but can use PayPal ...

We are more than happy to refund postage costs to return an item where the return is required due to our error. For instance:-

- If we sent you the wrong item

- If the item is damaged or faulty

- Where you are returning a substitute item which you do not want to keep

We will not refund postage costs to return items which are unwanted or no longer required. These costs will need to be covered by you, again we recommend using a delivery service that insures you for the value of the goods.

However, you are entitled to a refund of your return shipping costs if you placed your order through PayPal and activated the PayPal Return Service prior to your purchase. These costs must be covered by you if you do not have this service. We recommend again a delivery service that assures you of the value of the goods. If you have used PayPal service, you can then have the costs incurred reimbursed by PayPal.

We will not refund postage costs to return any item due to reported damage or fault where no error was found in the testing process. Costs of posting the item back to you will depend on the item and will be communicated to you after the testing process has been completed.

Just bought another pair of the excellent Bont riot for £54 from PBK I have wide feet and these feel like they were handmade for me, amazingly stiff + comfortable shoes
Ordered some Shimano, foot hole too narrow, just ordered some Northwave and Fizik to try but held of the Bont Riot MTB because wiggle didnt do wide version. My foot is 116mm width x 280mm long.
If neither are any good when they arrive then I will return to wiggle and thinking of trying some Bonts in wide if I can find supplier. What do you think of them overall ?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You tend to get three types of fastening system in shoes. The all velcro, clasp and BOA. The velcro ones are easy to get on and off but perhaps not as secure. The clasp based shoes are good and tend to be velcro fastening with added security of a clasp. Finally you have the BOA (the ones with the little dial) - they have some fine wire running through eyelets down the length of the shoe which is connected to a ratchet - they too often have an additional bit of velcro - I personally find these are great for adjustment on the move and the wire fitting seems to shape the foot better making it a bit more comfortable.

If you are going on road then a lot of people start with Shimano spd sl pedals and the SH11 yellow black cleats.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You tend to get three types of fastening system in shoes. The all velcro, clasp and BOA. The velcro ones are easy to get on and off but perhaps not as secure. The clasp based shoes are good and tend to be velcro fastening with added security of a clasp. Finally you have the BOA (the ones with the little dial) - they have some fine wire running through eyelets down the length of the shoe which is connected to a ratchet - they too often have an additional bit of velcro - I personally find these are great for adjustment on the move and the wire fitting seems to shape the foot better making it a bit more comfortable.

If you are going on road then a lot of people start with Shimano spd sl pedals and the SH11 yellow black cleats.
What's the difference between the various cleats on offer? I like the look of the rapha road shoes with shoe laces personally.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
What's the difference between the various cleats on offer? I like the look of the rapha road shoes with shoe laces personally.

Cleats vary within make (usually the amount of "float" they allow - ie movement allowing the foot to point left and right) and between makes (some are easier to clip in or more comfortable to walk in etc) .

Laces look good on a classic build but I find they can work loose or stretch during the ride. Also the good quality shoes tend to be a bit pricey!

Just checked and the Rapha Classic shoes are £180 which is a lot less than I thought they would be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Cleats vary within make (usually the amount of "float" they allow - ie movement allowing the foot to point left and right) and between makes (some are easier to clip in or more comfortable to walk in etc) .

Laces look good on a classic build but I find they can work loose or stretch during the ride. Also the good quality shoes tend to be a bit pricey!
Which cleats would someone go for and why? Is there any benefit of having less float?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Which cleats would someone go for and why? Is there any benefit of having less float?

Some people with dodgy knees go for either more float or less float. Technically the float is there to enable you to adjust how you pedal and to manage your leg muscles a bit better - I coast with toes out and then put the power down with toes pointing inwards but that is just me. That is quite a technical exercise for now.

Starting off I would go entry level Shimano spd-sl for road and SH11 - see how you go and then invest in a better system when you know what you are looking for. I run two systems on my bikes, Shimano Dura Ace/SH11 and Look Keo Carbon and tbh I can't tell the difference apart from the Keo being slightly easier to unclip for me.

Last edited:
Ordered some Shimano, foot hole too narrow, just ordered some Northwave and Fizik to try but held of the Bont Riot MTB because wiggle didnt do wide version. My foot is 116mm width x 280mm long.
If neither are any good when they arrive then I will return to wiggle and thinking of trying some Bonts in wide if I can find supplier. What do you think of them overall ?

Bont are super wide already so i'd be surprised if they offer a wider version, I also have wide feet and so far both pairs I've bought have been awesome even without heat moulding, i went for 45 in these as the 44.5 of my other pair was very close to big toe touching, FYI these shoes are extremely stiff which if you're not used to it can feel a bit weird at first, so far no issues and i get the feeling they offer better power through the pedal stroke as a result.

Top Bottom