What cycling shoes to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bont are super wide already so i'd be surprised if they offer a wider version, I also have wide feet and so far both pairs I've bought have been awesome even without heat moulding, i went for 45 in these as the 44.5 of my other pair was very close to big toe touching, FYI these shoes are extremely stiff which if you're not used to it can feel a bit weird at first, so far no issues and i get the feeling they offer better power through the pedal stroke as a result.
Maybe I have made a mistake, their website has standard and wide fitting but will check again. The fizik arrived and surprisingly wide and the Northwave are actually a little smaller. I may still try the bonts and thanks for the feedback :okay:
For my feet length I would be in the 10.5 shoe which surprises me as I am a 12 usually so think I would need to order 3 different size shoes to check fit

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I find SPD-SL more appealing it feels wrong to put mountain bike pedals on a road bike :/
Many opt for spd on a road bike so they can walk reasonably of the bike. Favouring that to the duck wiggle or slip sliding in spd-sl cleats. Spd-sl are great for proper roadies who spend little time off the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I find SPD-SL more appealing it feels wrong to put mountain bike pedals on a road bike :/
Have you ever had to walk after a puncture?
Do you do any utility cycling or commuting and need to walk?
stop start urban riding will wear SPD SL cleats much more quickly too:ohmy:

Nobody can see what pedals you have when you’re riding or cares...up to you though

Last edited:

Mark pallister

Nobody can see what pedals you have when you’re riding or cares...up to you though
I’ve had 13000 mls out of mine so far ,punctures I fix or it’s the taxi wife
£15 a pair and they just feel so much better being locked in

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had 13000 mls out of mine so far ,punctures I fix or it’s the taxi wife
£15 a pair and they just feel so much better being locked in
Except the OP has posted about several fairy visits recently, was struggling with repairs and she doesn’t have a wife afaik.
It’s up to her but better to make an informed decision based on personal circumstances. I pay for ETA rescue just in case for example

^^^ this in spades

I'd also like to add that SPD cleats are far easier to clip in and out of.

Which is a bonus for urban riding. Far less time spent at junctions and lights trying to clip back in.

vickster

Legendary Member
^^^ this in spades

I'd also like to add that SPD cleats are far easier to clip in and out of.

Which is a bonus for urban riding. Far less time spent at junctions and lights trying to clip back in.
...Getting overtaken by cyclists on flats while faffing with your feet :whistle:

With all due respect, you've asked for advice and ignored it.

As everyone above has said, for your type of riding SPD has got to be the way.

I've got a 'Gravel bike with spd/flats on as I do lots of tow paths and trails on it where you need to clip/unclip quickly and often and a road bike with SPD SL's on.

Road bike I rarely get off other than coffee stops and I prefer the SL's in those situations but more of a faff than spd's for sure.

Your call though.

There are genuine helpful people on here that will give you sound advice, I have asked and taken on a lot. It helped me choose a new bike, equipment, servicing and replacing parts. Using recommendations I am in the process of buying new shoes and agree spd is the way forward. Buy, try, return, repeat until you have the right fit. SPD though is the way forward for your riding

Bont are super wide already so i'd be surprised if they offer a wider version
Ordered some bont riot to try. Emailed bont for a bit of advice around sizing and they suggest Double Wide 😱 seems they do a standard fit and wide fit..... if these are good but just narrow I will look for some Double wides as wiggles are standard. Will see today. Thanks for feedback again👍

Top Bottom