What cycling shoes to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

With all due respect, you've asked for advice and ignored it.

As everyone above has said, for your type of riding SPD has got to be the way.

I've got a 'Gravel bike with spd/flats on as I do lots of tow paths and trails on it where you need to clip/unclip quickly and often and a road bike with SPD SL's on.

Road bike I rarely get off other than coffee stops and I prefer the SL's in those situations but more of a faff than spd's for sure.

Your call though.
I have made it very clear I wanted road cycling shoes, instead of being recommended what I asked for, I felt like no one respected my choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have made it very clear I wanted road cycling shoes, instead of being recommended what I asked for, I felt like no one respected my choice.
You can ride on the road using either clipless system. I did many 000s of miles on SPDs before I had to give up clipless due to a knee that won’t bend enough!
I suggested you consider what you would do if you had a puncture or mechanical you couldn’t fix at the roadside and how you would get home. You won’t want to walk miles on road cleats.
If this will not be a concern, buy three hole road shoes that you like the look of, are in your budget, and that fit. Ultimately it’s not that different to buying any pair of shoes :smile:
If you can’t get to a shop, order a few pairs online, read reviews to gauge fit. You could ask the VV FB group, many will tell you about what they have
plus you need a pair of SPDSL pedals, they come with cleats (usually the most neutral ones) and a pedal spanner to fit them

Last edited:

Sometimes what you WANT and what you NEED are two entirely different things. :okay: You have been given good advice, don't dismiss it out of hand without thinking it through first.

We've all been there, heart over head etc. I bought a pair of road shoes because I *really* wanted them, but I've only worn them twice because they're impossible to walk in and I struggle to "get going" from a standstill. And they're no use to me on muddy rural roads either. That's £40 (they were bought in a sale) I could've spent on something else instead.

Gave up and bought a pair of touring shoes with SPD cleats and never looked back. FWIW, I do a lot of utility riding (which involves shopping) and, before the pandemic, a lot of urban riding in Cambridge when I needed to do stuff there in person.

Anyone want a pair of size 37 Shimano ladies' road shoes? :scratch:

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I have come up with a budget up to £200, not sure whether to go with sidi genius 10 shoes or sidi fast shoes or rapha classic shoes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have come up with a budget up to £200, not sure whether to go with sidi genius 10 shoes or sidi fast shoes or rapha classic shoes.
Buy them all, try them on, send them back if no good. One pair will fit better than the others. Read reviews to understand if you need to size up.
Keep budget for pedals and the spanner if you don’t have one

vickster

Legendary Member
I fear the jacket she bought last week when it was 1deg and dry in London will be the wrong bit of kit when it’s 9deg and wet this week as forecast....

Top Bottom