What cycling shoes to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd go for a touring shoe that takes the 2-bolt SPD cleats, which you can at least still use them as trainers / walking shoes if you don't get on with clipless. Mine are Shimano MT34 that I got for £40 in Decathlon a couple of years ago. Not sure if they still stock them these days, but they do have their own version thereof.

Also have a pair of Shimano road shoes. They're comfy, but totally useless off the bike. I am not a good proponent of the "cyclist's waddle" and have ended up on my backside a few too many times as a result... :blush:

FWIW, I have size 37 feet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Why not look on Sigma and Velovixen to start?
Have you ridden clipless before? Do you have pedals?
£50-100 will get decent shoes but fit is more important than cost
Velovixen only sells overshoes but not cycling shoes, I looked at sigma sport there are lots of shoes in the over 300, range, not sure whether it's worth splashing out that much on cycling shoes. There is also a lot of shoes in over the 200 range (For my shoe size). There is nothing in the 50-100 range.

vickster

Legendary Member
^^^ this in spades.

Except for the pedals. I prefer single-sided SPD pedals as I don't always ride in cycling shoes.
I could never get the hang of single sideds.
I can’t use them at all anymore. I’ve got about 5 spare sets of M520s now :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Velovixen only sells overshoes but not cycling shoes, I looked at sigma sport there are lots of shoes in the over 300, range, not sure whether it's worth splashing out that much on cycling shoes. There is also a lot of shoes in over the 200 range (For my shoe size). There is nothing in the 50-100 range.
There will be...
I’ll look

For a first pair, stick to something under £50.

If you don't like clipless, then you're not wasting your money. There's a reasonable amount of choice in the 40-50 price bracket.

I could never get the hang of single sideds.
I can’t use them at all anymore. I’ve got about 5 spare sets of M520s now :laugh:

Whereas I can't get the hang of the double-sided ones... :laugh:

This is saddles all over again! :giggle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sport pursuit have some heavily reduced Mavic shoes in a range of sizes too (have to pay for delivery but can do free returns if pay by PayPal)

Attachments

• 230391BA-2288-4D11-A91C-773BE037ED0D.jpeg
    230391BA-2288-4D11-A91C-773BE037ED0D.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom