What did we learn from this year's Tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm not sure there is a relationship between "the job" and "earnings".
Funny you should say that....:sad:
Hopefully the days of fighting to get paid/share of the money are more or less past, although I still hear of riders and staff not getting their pay and/or waiting months/going to court/UCI to get money that's due. There are still a few "operators" out there. I just hope women's racing does not have to go through this rubbish quite so much as it grows into a bigger sport.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So the best team wins, who would have thought that.

Why don't you have a look, I am busy.
I did look but couldn't find anyone in this thread who didn't think it was a team effort, which is why I asked.
Still, hey ho.

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
I learned that I think joining the tour with no intention of completing it and taking 4 stage wins is a little unsportmanlike

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I learned that I think joining the tour with no intention of completing it and taking 4 stage wins is a little unsportmanlike

Unsportsmanlike because it robs others of potential wins?

Assuming you're referring to Cav, it's far from clear that he joined the tour without intending to complete it; in fact, if you take his (fairly from the heart) interviews at face value, he would far preferred to have completed and only abandoned reluctantly when it became clear his Olympic performance was at risk. That's in contrast to many in the past, particularly sprinters, who have started GTs while clearly having no intention of finishing; a tradition that goes back many years.

While if he hadn't been there clearly the wins would have gone to someone else, it's arguable that if you're going to measure yourself against the best you should be capable of winning irrespective of who's there.

Last edited:

Buddfox

Veteran
Judging by the reluctance of the top 10 riders to challenge each other in the final week (and the exceptions came about as much because of the misfortune of others than because of the boldness of any rider that moved up on GC), I'd say they were all just pretty knackered at that point and unable to do anything dramatic.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Assuming you're referring to Cav, it's far from clear that he joined the tour without intending to complete it; in fact, if you take his (fairly from the heart) interviews at face value, he would far preferred to have completed and only abandoned reluctantly when it became clear his Olympic performance was at risk. That's in contrast to many in the past, particularly sprinters, who have started GTs while clearly havng no intention of finishing; a tradition that goes back many years.

While if he hadn't been there clearly the wins would have gone to someone else, it's arguable that if you're going to measure yourself against the best you should be capable of winning irrespective of who's there.

I also feel a bit uncomfortable about this. It's easily fixed of course by saying that your Stage podium finishes only count if you make it to Paris, otherwise other riders shuffle up the order. Or you could use a bit more carrot and a bit less stick and have a few more sprint stages towards the end of the race

The problem with this is injury withdrawals. Seems fair enough to keep a Stage win if you fall off and injure yourself subsequently. But how to differentiate between real and fake injuries?

screenman

Legendary Member
Glad the post referendum dip has been reversed!:okay:

Unfortunately not earning a penny, it is as quiet as quiet can be in this business at the moment.

oldroadman

Veteran

Assuming you're referring to Cav, it's far from clear that he joined the tour without intending to complete it; in fact, if you take his (fairly from the heart) interviews at face value, he would far preferred to have completed and only abandoned reluctantly when it became clear his Olympic performance was at risk. That's in contrast to many in the past, particularly sprinters, who have started GTs while clearly having no intention of finishing; a tradition that goes back many years.

One word - Cipollini.

Top Bottom