What did you look like when you were young?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's one of me when I was a little younger.
Moustaches and those sunnies will be back in fashion any day now!

Scan0003.jpg
you can be my wing man!

Attachments

• Scan0003.jpg
    Scan0003.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 32

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
That's it, competition closed :ninja:

What? :angel:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How does one do this? A separate HD?

I have nearly all my pics on web albums which is almost all I care about.
I suppose it depends how much data you are backing up. If it is only a few GB, then DVDs and/or online storage might be practical.

You could use USB flash stick drives but they can be a bit unreliable so never rely on just one. If you are going to use them, I'd suggest buying at least 2 and alternating them - use one on odd days of the month and one on even days. The chances of your HDD and both your backups failing at the same time are pretty slim.

I use an external USB2 hard drive and some free backup software which I found on the internet. I've had to do one restore after my Windows registry got so screwed up that my computer wouldn't boot. I also had to restore my brother-in-law's system when his PC had problems. He used an external USB2 hard drive too, but he used Norton Ghost backup/restore software.

I suggest that you get the backup software to verify the backups after making them - there's not much point in trying to restore a corrupted backup!

Ideally, you wouldn't keep your backup(s) in the same building as the computer in case your house/office burned down or you got burgled and all the equipment was nicked.

Wikipedia article on backups said:
In 1996, during a fire at the headquarters of Crédit Lyonnais, a major bank in Paris, system administrators ran into the burning building to rescue backup tapes because they didn't have off-site copies. Crucial bank archives and computer data were lost.
!:whistle:

If your data is sensitive and someone might be able to walk off with your backup, or it is online, make sure it is encrypted!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You can get a helluvalot of foties on one o' these, and sandisk sticks are extremely reliable. All you have to do then is not lose it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Now you tell me...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sandisk are brilliant- they're what I use,

my back ups involve everything off the computer hard drive/Sandisk CF card- onto external hard drive, backs ups onto DVDs/CDs- these get re-backed up after 3 years (DVDs have a shorter shelf life then CDs) and if I had an office space - I'd have another copy of DVDs there but I don't at the moment have that second back up- it's super important for my work to make sure I have it well covered.

Top Bottom