What did you want to be when you grew up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
A marine biologist. Sunday evening Jacques Cousteau programmes in grainy black and white were the TV highlight of the week.

a helicopter pilot.....crappy eyes put pay to that

Applied to be an air traffic controller just to shut my dad up; been doing it ever since...

Windy

Tetedelacourse

My first ambition was to become an Ice Cream van driver. Through school I couldn't care less what was going to happen afterwards. I entertained the possibility of becoming a Criminal Profiler but soon realised that I was more cheese than cracker. One thing's for sure, I never wanted to be a Database Manager in the NHS...

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I can't remember what I wanted to be, other than for a brief period I fancied being a vet (James Heriot was on TV at the time).

I have sort of fallen into my job as a database administrator at the University:huh:

Andrew

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
HLaB said:
I wanted to be an architect for till I was 14 and realised that I'm no good at art.

I didn't want to be an architect in my teens, even tho I was good at art and maths, because my mother's family were architects and builders. If I could wind the clock back...

When I was eight I wanted to be a farmer in Nebraska because I liked the sound of the word "Nebraska". Been there since and, err, no thanks

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
From about the age of 7 I wanted to be an engine driver. I've worked on the railway for 33 years now and have been a driver since 1977. Is it time for a new career yet?:blush:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
When I was really young I wanted to be a farmer, with a farmhouse and tractor (I lived in a town and my dad worked in a factory, so this was probably a pretty crap idea).

Later I wanted to be a scientist (although I didn't really have a clue what scientists might actually do, except stuff I'd picked up from films). Studied chemistry eventually (maybe because it reminded me of the stuff I'd seen in films, bubbling tubes, fuming beakers etc). The word scientist does appear on my business card, but i'm not really a proper one.

Not sure what I want to have a pop at next.

ajevans

By the age of 10 I'd wanted to be a professional photographer, a chef and a chartered accountant.

I'm now a chartered accountant who spends a good chunk of his spare time either in the kitchen or behind a SLR.

At the age of 3 I wanted to be a professional skier. No idea where that came from, never been skiing and coming from a working class background in Wolverhampton never knew anyone who had.

First I wanted to be a professional cricketer.
Then I wanted to be a journalist.
Done pretty well out of being a vagabond, though! :blush:

I might grow up one day.

Top Bottom