What did you want to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
A pilot... I got my pilots licence along with a load of other ratings and my BCPL as it was then but things went the wrong way for me financially and never quite got the Commercial licence I was aiming for, always thought I'd pick it back up but never did just have to fly privately now ironic as I could probably afford to go all the way now but age is against me.

david k

Hi
I wanted,in no particular order to be; a missionary in Africa, a professional footballer/ rugby league player, rock star, astranaut. Ignored those dreams and became a plumber.

ha ha, i was a failed pro rugby player so became a plumber

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm 62 now and still don't know what I want to be, I've been a horny handed son of toil most of my life, doing manual factory work, but looking back would have liked to have done something better but still haven't a clue what.

Firestorm

Veteran
I always wanted to do something sciency and at 14 settled on Pharmacy
Rigid O level options and crap career advisors at school lead me to going to Uni ill prepared and I couldn't cope .
After failing the first year i tried other quantity surveying but didnt get on with it andended up in the City doing Insurance accounts.
I have never really enjoyed it but it paid the bills so I knuckled down and gave it my all , as it meant my family could be comfortable, my wife could stay at home with the kids etc...
Been doing it 35 years now....too old to change now .
I doubt many get to do what they want, needs must and a comfortable home life sweetens a less than brilliant work life

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Wanted to be an astronaut when I was little. Eventually became an electronic engineer, and I work for a space science company. It's all good :biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
I always wanted to be a Police Officer which I think was disappointment to Dad who was a joiner to trade. My grandfather was a bricklayer for all of his working life and I decided quite early on that I did not want to spend my life surviving 'on the tools'. As I left school, with few low level qualifications, the work in town I was brought up in was collapsing, 4 major employers shut their factories and local economy all but collasped.

On the advice of a Police Inspector who rightly told me I was far to young to be a Police Officer at 17 I joined the RAF initialy for 3 years to gain some life experience and discovered I loved it. Left after 29 years. No rose tinted glasses, there where bad times as well as good.

Whilst serving I got myself a proper education to prove to myself that I could and stick up a symbolic salute up to those teachers who told me constantly I was think, stupid and lazy. Now work in an independent school providing IT engineering support and practical advice and guidance to both staff and students. Interesting job, nice people, lovely environment but lacks the excitement of my previous life. Do I regret not becoming a Police Office not one bit.

Last edited:

pauldavid

Veteran
Mechanic, loved it!

Since then I have tried to climb the career ladder and have ended up in a job that I hate. Unfortunately, it pays well and I have a family and commitments to support that mean I am stuck for the foreseeable future.

screenman

Legendary Member
Always wanted to work for myself and after 38 years I still do, i my teens I decided car dealing was for me and built up quite a good business with 2 sites, at 33 I moved up north and decided I never wanted to buy and sell another car again, nor did I want to employ staff any more, something I had done since I was 19. Neither did I want the 7day weeks and long hours of car dealing.

I now teach PDR and Windscreen repair as well as selling the tools for both, I am the UK distributor for Delta Kits and I very much enjoy going out on the road and doing PDR.

I must say though I still get a buzz out of working for a living, and hope it continues for a long time. My hoped for age is 75. somehow my investments have not done as well as I was told they would.

Top Bottom