What did you want to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I wanted to study the classics and modern literature, become a journalist and a fiction writer.
Due to family issues this was impossible, so I escaped the small Italian village I was brought up in as soon as I could, ended up emigrating, working in catering for 30 years.
Nowadays, I'd rather be a plumber or a bike mechanic :smile:

Doseone

Guru
My Dad was in the RAF and I always wanted to be a pilot. Failed at the first hurdle because I couldn't pass those stupid dotty colour blindness tests. Then I decided I wanted to be a vet, but I wasn't clever enough:angry:

Maybe these films had something to do with me wanting to be a truck-driver???

Both are still in my all-time favourite films list (& Jerry Reed, one of my all-time favourite guitarists)

Love that opening clip, shot very well indeed (barring the lights being reflected on the Macks door, when first overtaken by the XKE), & the proper version of the lyrics

Land Rover Experience;

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
In no particular order, archaeologist, vet, physiotherapist ... ended up studying geography and now doing air pollution research & maps.
When it gets too busy (which it does quite frequently), I fancy doing something completely different, such as artisan baking, nutritionist, teaching people how easy and fun it is to cook, that sort of thing.

T

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I wanted to be a milkman when I was about 6, but later as I grew up a pilot with RAF or civilian, but being red/green colourblind put paid to that. Ended up as an electrical engineer, worked out well.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Wanted to be a truck driver just like my Dad. And did just that,regularly driving into Europe, carrying everything from swinging beef to a full trailer of Sindy dolls!!
Now I'm a Transport co-ordinator and have a big dislike for Trucks..

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
I always wanted to be a retired schoolboy, but my parents frogmarched me to the nearest Army recruiting office and told me to join up or they'd rent out my bedroom to a lodger.

Venod

Eh up
I was building bikes out of old bits before I left school and tinkering with old motorbikes, so wanted to be a mechanic, I turned down an apprenticeship in the Power Generation Industry (much to my parents dismay) and became a mechanic, I liked the job but it was crap pay, so left to work in the Power Generation Industry, which has provided me a comfortable living and pension although the last 11 years of being office based was not very enjoyable.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I wanted to be a lion tamer. I had a Wannabee Lion Tamer. Can't find a pic, but here's the Lone Ranger version:

wl6.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I wanted to be an anthropologist / scientist of some nature related to biology but couldn't afford to get the qualifications as my mum died when i was young meaning dad had to take shortened hours at work to look after us ,ended up with a mortgage based on 2 wages to support on my own when the then fiancee fecked off , then marriage and kids , short time at work for years so now i have a mortgage that finishes 1 month after the current projected retirement age and im lumping bits of metal about all day as it was the best paid job i could get to support my family.
My dreams have changed now to try and make sure my children escape my life by giving them the best chance i can, if that happens then i can pass through the pearly gates with a smile .

Top Bottom