What did you want to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I was 6 when I got a nurses outfit for Christmas.
I loved it and wore it as often as I could! I told my mum I was going to be a nurse when I grew up.
And I did just that. I qualified when I was 21 and I worked with Learning Disabled kids, premature babies and high dependency adults.
The only other thing I applied to do before I went into nursing aged 18, was the Police. My cousin and his wife were both officers (my cousin ended up as Inspector).

So, what did you want to be?

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I always wanted to join the Royal Navy. Got through all the selections courses and assessments. BUT.. Rock 'n' Roll found it's way into my life and I never finally signed the papers to join up.

One of my life's regrets not joining.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I always wanted to join the Royal Navy. Got through all the selections courses and assessments. BUT.. Rock 'n' Roll found it's way into my life and I never finally signed the papers to join up.

One of my life's regrets not joining.
I wish I had known back then that I could have joined the Navy (Queen Alexandras') as a nurse!!
I have enjoyed my career anyway but that would have been the dogs b*llocks!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A lawyer. That was what my father did, and what my older brother and younger sister ended up doing too. It was ok, but in hindsight I would have preferred to be an engineer.
I am the opposite - I ended up becoming an electronics/software engineer but would probably have been happier doing what my dad did, which was carpentry/joinery! He would never teach me what he knew, saying that I was bright and should work with my mind, not my hands.

I did briefly toy with the idea of applying to London College of Furniture to study musical instrument construction, but ended up taking the safer option of studying electronics oop north instead.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I was 6 when I got a nurses outfit for Christmas.
I loved it and wore it as often as I could! I told my mum I was going to be a nurse when I grew up.
And I did just that. I qualified when I was 21 and I worked with Learning Disabled kids, premature babies and high dependency adults.
The only other thing I applied to do before I went into nursing aged 18, was the Police. My cousin and her wife were both officers (my cousin ended up as Inspector).

So, what did you want to be?

Ah, I spent some years working with adults with learning disabilities and 'challenging behaviour' and that was a result of being on track to be a nurse. It's good work but a bit of a widow-maker alcoholic-creator type of field. Can be really harsh, and I did it pre-minimum wage!

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I wanted to join the RAF as pilot, but they didn't let women fly in those days :-(

asterix

Comrade Member
I wanted to be the captain of a fine sailing ship like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBGiZPrNn0dD-BOtxM1yv6SDTvOsXWoKiO7eM-pjHPgOmdPPr3eA.jpg

Unfortunately, by the time I was old enough they were mostly like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXlHLb6pRQWD22MpuHUVvRy72fPoE3ZnibwSTi2bUBTAwQaVxR.jpg

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Ah, I spent some years working with adults with learning disabilities and 'challenging behaviour' and that was a result of being on track to be a nurse. It's good work but a bit of a widow-maker alcoholic-creator type of field. Can be really harsh, and I did it pre-minimum wage!
Who knew I'd also do it unpaid, with a son (eldest son) with severe ADHD and ODD and the younger son with AS, ADHD and medical issues. Guess I have a caring nature :smile:

Top Bottom