What did you want to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
stunt man... I think it started after seeing Hooper at the pictures.

Blue

Legendary Member
I wanted to be a teacher. I spent most of my life in the insurance industry gathering experience and qualifications before taking my teaching cert and spending the last 5 years of my career teaching adults who were taking the Chartered Insurance Institute qualifications. So I got there in the end and have to say I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would.

Ganymede

Veteran
I had a nurse's outfit and a cowboy outfit and we did a lot of dressing-up when I was a kid. Several different ambitions included opera singer, train driver, vicar and actress.

Since becoming an actress I have been a goddess, a princess, a mad queen, a bear, an old man, Queen of Egypt, a neuroscientist, a psychologist, a murderess (at least twice), a Hungarian maid, a stripper, a secretary, a famous actress (ie that was the role, not me!), a Southern belle, a vicious old gun-totin' woman, a clown, a pageboy, a Duke, a comedy Cockney maid, a middle-class housewife, an American teacher, Helen of Troy, a forensic pathologist, a magistrate, a court clerk, a hustler, a Wife of Windsor, a rude mechanical, a bolshy receptionist, an 18th century Welsh Methodist, a downtrodden northern housewife and the lady of the manor. Among other things.

Fun but I never "made it" so I do other stuff now.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I wanted to be a Forensic Scientist based on a wee snippet of a careers lesson video on scientists when I was at school, 20 years before the fantasy program CSI started on the telly. I'm not that far away from it & despair about the oversized education industry that has sprung up around it (milking the gullible for a career dream the majority will never realise) & the utterly unrealistic fantasies graduates have of this sector, based on that telly series.

ASC1951

Guru
I've got a sneaking suspicion that the jobs we wished we had had would have had just as many downsides as the jobs we actually had - even the ones where people pop up on the telly and say, "it's absolutely wonderful, I would do it even if they didn't pay me!".

buggi

Bird Saviour
in this order my dreams were:

RSPCA inspector*
RAF pilot**
RSPCA inspector*
Firefighter***
Florist****
RSPCA inspector*
Bike instructor****

*should have been but allowed circumstances to dictate otherwise (stupidly) :angry:
** was not allowed at the time i wanted to do it coz I'm a girl :ohmy:
*** was for a very short while
**** missed my vocation, i'm really good at this but discovered my talent at a stage in life where, unless I marry a rich man i can't earn enough to pay my bills. Floristry is the worst paid job ever. FACT.
***** do this part time and voluntarily because can't afford to give up my job to go do it full time.

What I didn't want to do was office work which, of course, I ended up doing because it pays the bills :sad:

flower 3.jpg
flower 2.jpg
flower 1.jpg

Last edited:

TVC

I always wanted to become a Design Engineer. I wanted to spend my days at an A0 Pantograph drawing board inventing fantastic machines.

I became a Design Engineer, but shortly after I got installed at my own A0 Pantograph drawing board they invented CAD, the board was taken away from me and I was given a computer. It wasn't the same.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Never knew what I wanted to be really, so drifted through life first as a production engineer and now as teacher and driving instructor.

Ganymede

Veteran
in this order my dreams were:

RSPCA inspector*
RAF pilot**
RSPCA inspector*
Firefighter***
Florist****
RSPCA inspector*
Bike instructor****

*should have been but allowed circumstances to dictate otherwise (stupidly) :angry:
** was not allowed at the time i wanted to do it coz I'm a girl :ohmy:
*** was for a very short while
**** missed my vocation, i'm really good at this but discovered my talent at a stage in life where, unless I marry a rich man i can't earn enough to pay my bills. Floristry is the worst paid job ever. FACT.
***** do this part time and voluntarily because can't afford to give up my job to go do it full time.

What I didn't want to do was office work which, of course, I ended up doing because it pays the bills :sad:

View attachment 34699 View attachment 34700 View attachment 34701

Those arrangements are LOVELY, Buggi. Shame it doesn't pay. You can probably sting the rich for it in Belgravia but elsewehere, more problematic!

Also I am dead impressed that you were a firefighter and are now a bike instructor.

theloafer

Legendary Member
My dad was a lorry driver for many years...I even got a ride in his big truck one day when he did a local job to Glasgow docks - he usually did longer UK trips and was away for several days a week.

long distance lorry driver ...as my dad was used to spend most of my hols out with him even had my own nosebag :laugh: we went all over the country, think that's were I got the urge for touring... ^_^ and remember the great tea stops proper big mugs of tea and bacon butties were huge:hungry: ...also he and the other drivers used to swap bits from there load and sell ..... ended up in mostly factory's welding and buildings sites

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Way back I thought I might be some kind of musician, it was the only thing I had any interest in. When I was in my last year at school "keeping out of prison" was ambition enough. I drifted from one cleaning job to another, finally coming to rest at a supermarket checkout where one day someone made the life-changing remark, "You are not thick, just badly educated". That was it, evening classes for GCSE's and A levels, and, finally deciding I wanted to make a difference to people like me, Queen's University to study English and Politics. I worked for a well known charity and was a county councillor, got on the short list of potential parliamentary candidates for my party, was almost accepted as a a candidate for the 2011 Assembly elections by one constituency*, then private life got in the way and I turned right instead of left as I fled an abusive partner and came to England instead of going over the border. I played in my brother's band-he already lived in Barrow, the main reason I came here-and worked for another charity until I decided that trying to help people who need help but do not want it was far too frustrating. One day I went with Hover fly to his work and saw how happy he was, working with boats was my new ambition and I am well on the way...

*They chose yet another man in a grey suit and tie: their loss.

Top Bottom