what do people think of jumping lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Never jump lights because i know it will hurt me more if it went wrong and it is the first thing motorists say in arguments against cyclist's. The fact i have seen more motorist's do it than cyclists does not even wash with them,they still think cyclist's are the main culprits in the red light jumping games ! It just annoys everyone and the non-jumpers get it in the neck.

I pick and choose. That means I stop at about 99.7% (roughly!). I even 'stop and wait' if it would be safe to 'stop and proceed with caution', such as a left turn with no other moving traffic in that direction. I tut and head shake at RLJing cyclists. You see, I think RLJing does the the image of cyclists and cycling no favours at all even it it might sometimes be safe.

Saying that, I do RLJ about 0.3% of the time (roughly). That is two occasions in the last six months I can recall. The first was a traffic contolled set of lights at about 04.00hrs that clearly didn't believe I constituted traffic. I wasn't going to wait on an empty road until the next car came along to set the lights to green for me. The other was yesterday at some temporary lights controlling a contraflow on a NSL B road. The roadworks constituted about 10 metres of cones around some gravel and hole. I could see the road ahead was clear for about a quarter mile and there were no workmen, pedestrians or drivers about to witness by lawbreaking (although there was a squirrel and little later a rabbit in the road and I was able to startle both).

OP
OP
hero of valour

hero of valour

guess what guys?? i'm going for a cycle later and I won't jump any reds....you have changed my views and i aint kidding....i have a certain journey to work and back and there are a number of reds where i know for a FACT I am safe to go....i know this for FACT...but nevertheless i get it and will refrain

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it safe because they are pedestrian crossings? If so, hop off the bike and cross as a pedestrian

Enjoy safe riding :smile:

Lancj1

T
Never jump lights because i know it will hurt me more if it went wrong and it is the first thing motorists say in arguments against cyclist's. The fact i have seen more motorist's do it than cyclists does not even wash with them,they still think cyclist's are the main culprits in the red light jumping games ! It just annoys everyone and the non-jumpers get it in the neck.

They ? I bet most people do both ?

soulful dog

Veteran
Unless you are the type of driver who regularly speeds in 30mph zones, drives up the backside of people who aren't going fast enough, undertakes on motorways, passes cyclists too closely etc, I don't understand why you would even consider it's ok to cycle through a red light (obvious exceptions as people have posted aside)?

stephen.rooke

aways stop unless its broken, no reason for not stopping, you can actually get 3 points on your driving licence if you have one and you get caught jumping one on your bike. hate people giving other cyclists a bad name because there too idiotic to stop.

400bhp

Guru
...whats the general consensus?....i jumped a red the other day mainly cos i know the route well and its a safe move if you know it....someone shouted something and it pissed me off!

Where was this? It will give me an idea if it was me who did the shouting.

400bhp

Guru
Use your common sense, if theres no traffic about do it, if your going too fast and nearly there use your judgement as to weather you can get
across.But on the whole its safer to stop everytime so not to take risks.No risks equal safe all the time. well....

:whistle:

400bhp

Guru

I've come to the conclusion the main reason for this is that RJL cyclists do it blatantly, i.e. at any point whilst the lights are on red, therefore any car in the queue can see it [the RLJ]. Whereas car drivers usually do it on or slightly after the lights turn to red, so very few cars behind see it.

400bhp

Guru
.... and that's when the lorry driver doing 55mph comes along and makes sure a poor copper has to pick you up with a sponge.

Still honestly, not worth jumping over the sake of "there's no cars about". That wouldn't stand in court either, somehow.

And that's when I or anyone else for that matter have to witness it. :sad:

Cringles

I've never jumped a red light. I regularly use an intersection were sometimes there are no cars at all. I can see clearly no cars for quite some time on all sides. But I still wait for the green light. I think once you jump one, you'll chance another, soon it'll become habit.

But I do live in a small town, & have never experienced a light not changing because it doesn't register me as a car. Plus red lights are just a bonus to take a sip of water, or check your phone for missed called.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
aways stop unless its broken, no reason for not stopping, you can actually get 3 points on your driving licence if you have one and you get caught jumping one on your bike. hate people giving other cyclists a bad name because there too idiotic to stop.

That's untrue. You cannot have a driving licence endorsed for something you do whilst on your bicycle.

Top Bottom