what do people think of jumping lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
And that's when I or anyone else for that matter have to witness it. :sad:

Apologies, sounds horrendous.

Sorry if it brought back any upset.

dharma66

Regular
I've been the one doing the shouting on several occasions.

When I was much younger, and training furiously in martial arts, I actually knocked a bloke clear out of the seat of his bike, because he came across the pedestrian crossing I was on so fast, I just reacted instinctively. The lights were red for him, and he passed so close, I just lashed out and took him clean out.

I felt no remorse.

Cyclists who blast through red lights are mostly risking their own lives but if the red light has an associated pedestrian crossing, they are risking my life, too. And that has its consequences.

:ninja: Not so fast, matey. The fish saw you....and they remember.:ninja:
But they can't write irate letters to the local paper or dish out punishment passes though!

Egon Belmontie

Powered by Marmite.
Just don't. For many reasons. 1 Its the law, boring i know but it is. 2 common curtsy to other road users and lastly why would you? how much time are you really gona save to risk getting moaned at by the police if seen, or worse getting hit by some fool in a car whos probably doing the same.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Just don't. For many reasons. 1 Its the law, boring i know but it is. 2 common curtsy to other road users and lastly why would you? how much time are you really gona save to risk getting moaned at by the police if seen, or worse getting hit by some fool in a car whos probably doing the same.

I think curtsying to other road users is taking it too far. A nod and a smile perhaps, a raised forefinger from the bars, or a thumbs-up at the very outside...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I take a slightly more nuanced view, and would prefer to see red lights given the status of give way lines for bicycles.

I think in areas like this, we are closer to pedestrians than motorised traffic, and it's quite possible to go through a red safely, just as it's possible to go through a non lighted junction safely. Traffic lights are really only there to control motorised traffic.

To be clear, I don't think people should jump reds and break traffic laws right now: I think the traffic laws should be changed.

Top Bottom