what do people think of jumping lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
i think lights are placed due to roads joining and not directly because of danger. there are dangerous straight roads that dont have red lights on them, nor would it be welcomed

Why are they placed at roads that join? Because that is a dangerous point.

I never said dangerous point = lights.

Flip it on its head:
Lights = dangerous points.

david k

Hi
Why are they placed at roads that join? Because that is a dangerous point.

its to assist in the flow of traffic, many junctions have alternative means of control such as roundabouts.

I think you are merging two different points

david k

Hi
No I'm not.
but my point remains, your argument is a cyclist pulls out at a red light when there is nothing coming only for a lorry to come speeding along and knock you off. I maintain that is the same risk or hazard anyone faces when crossing a road. You say it isnt because red lights are put up at dangerous places. I cannot see any logic to your reply, i maintain the risk is the same and therefore the two things should not be mixed up as its a red herring (pardon the pun)

Egon Belmontie

Powered by Marmite.
I think the system is working at the mo all over the world.

Every one stops (or should be stopping) at red and go's on green, thats it! thats all you need not well its early/late at night or i should have the same rights as a pedestrian becasue i can wait 2 minuets for lights to change, as a cyclist its very easy to get to the front at traffic lights which means your already head of most of the cars, be happy with that and at the same time be safe!

david k

Hi
I think the system is working at the mo all over the world.

Every one stops (or should be stopping) at red and go's on green, thats it! thats all you need not well its early/late at night or i should have the same rights as a pedestrian becasue i can wait 2 minuets for lights to change, as a cyclist its very easy to get to the front at traffic lights which means your already head of most of the cars, be happy with that and at the same time be safe!
this isnt the system the world over as you claim. you are allowed to go through a red light in USA if you are turning right and its clear (would be left in the UK) so why cant this be done here?

400bhp

Guru
but my point remains, your argument is a cyclist pulls out at a red light when there is nothing coming only for a lorry to come speeding along and knock you off. I maintain that is the same risk or hazard anyone faces when crossing a road. You say it isnt because red lights are put up at dangerous places. I cannot see any logic to your reply, i maintain the risk is the same and therefore the two things should not be mixed up as its a red herring (pardon the pun)

If you say so. Let's leave it at that.

david k

Hi
Ok. Im sorry, most of the world then stops at red lights lol
USA makes up for a large proportion of the advanced world

sabian92

Über Member
isnt the risk you suggest the same as anyone crossing any road? im not plugging RLJing but this isnt a suitable argument against IMO

Not really the same because you don't cross if you expect a car to come hurtling down the road. If you are in a junction that you've jumped the red light on then nobody expects you to be there and that's how people end up dead.

dharma66

Regular
As a pedestrian, I don't want cyclists turning left on red. Any cyclist that comes near me when I'm crossing the road on a green man is risking a sore nose.

This isn't so much of an issue in the States as there are relatively fewer pedestrians and cyclists compared to car users. I've known people drive 50 yards to visit their next door neighbour, and I've stayed in a few out of town hotels were there was simply no pedestrian route to the shops 400-500 yards away. When we asked reception how we get there, they said they would arrange the hotel courtesy bus. They were really confused when we said we wanted to walk.

When it comes to transport, the USA is not a good model to follow, imho.

Top Bottom