what do people think of jumping lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
when i cross the road and if i did decide to red light jump i would apply this logic to each decision, so i maintain it is the same, for me at least

A traffic crossing (at least not a proper crossing) is not light controlled. It's completely different.

david k

Hi
As a pedestrian, I don't want cyclists turning left on red. Any cyclist that comes near me when I'm crossing the road on a green man is risking a sore nose.

This isn't so much of an issue in the States as there are relatively fewer pedestrians and cyclists compared to car users. I've known people drive 50 yards to visit their next door neighbour, and I've stayed in a few out of town hotels were there was simply no pedestrian route to the shops 400-500 yards away. When we asked reception how we get there, they said they would arrange the hotel courtesy bus. They were really confused when we said we wanted to walk.

When it comes to transport, the USA is not a good model to follow, imho.
cannot turn left if clear to do so

my friend walked to the shop and his neighbour thought he had broken down and gave him a lift lol. i understand your points but still dont see why cyclist

Going round Stairfoot roundabout in Barnsley is an education. They may as well save electric and remove the red light bulbs.
The amount of red light jumping idiots is incredible. This morning it was a 44 ton artic driver who decided laws don't count, and followed the rest of the lemmings. Cars with the green were nearly bouncing off his trailer.

But of course it's only the law.

I've never jumped a red light. I regularly use an intersection were sometimes there are no cars at all. I can see clearly no cars for quite some time on all sides. But I still wait for the green light. I think once you jump one, you'll chance another, soon it'll become habit.

But I do live in a small town, & have never experienced a light not changing because it doesn't register me as a car. Plus red lights are just a bonus to take a sip of water, or check your phone for missed called.
+1 or have a stretch or a bit of a recovery.

Hmm. I would think the main reason they are there is to control the flow of motorised traffic to reduce jams.
Know a few that arn't. Have a look on google maps at this one
53°40'30.40" N 1°16'27.66" W
Definitely one for safety, you would be stupid to run a red, as you cant see the other roads.

.... and that's when the lorry driver doing 55mph comes along and makes sure a poor copper has to pick you up with a sponge.

Still honestly, not worth jumping over the sake of "there's no cars about". That wouldn't stand in court either, somehow.
I dont know any traffic lights in the U.K. where a truck can be doing 55mph legally, A roads the limit is 40mph, dual carriage ways 50mph, motorways 56mph (not to many bikes on motorways).

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
If theirs no one around, If I think I can get away with it, if I want to loose a dick tailing me, if I want to feel safer, then I may consider it ^_^

mip

+1 or have a stretch or a bit of a recovery.
+1, there's no excuse for EVER jumping a red light.

sabian92

Über Member
I dont know any traffic lights in the U.K. where a truck can be doing 55mph legally, A roads the limit is 40mph, dual carriage ways 50mph, motorways 56mph (not to many bikes on motorways).

It was an exaggeration but you get my point. What if something is speeding though? Could be doing 55mph in a 30mph zone.

It's your own funeral if you jump the lights but with the amount of people on here telling a person it's a bad idea you can't say we didn't warn you. ^_^

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I jumped the lights on my last run, a pedestrian crossing, I was on a decent and could not stop in time, I tried to apologised as I flew past, I felt really bed :sad: Bet they thought what a D*#’ !

Top Bottom