what do people think of jumping lights???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's your own funeral if you jump the lights but with the amount of people on here telling a person it's a bad idea you can't say we didn't warn you. ^_^

Never said I do, I think if you look at my posts, I am dead set against it, if lights are stuck you can always get off and push a bike.
Excuse the pun.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
At the end of our road there is a main road,with a set of pedestrian lights.There is a sensor pad in our road which activates the lights,it never fails to amaze me how many cyclists ignore the lights.
As a great deal of cyclists are also car drivers,a quick 3 points for jumping the lights would make them think twice.
Another pet hate is cyclists who ride up to a pedestrian crossing,sit on the bike,press the button & then ride across.Get off & walk you lazy twats.

defy-one

Depends on the junction,traffic and my judgement. Never had an issue.
I am always way ahead of the first car in the queue. Try to get the jump on other traffic so i'm not vying for space as they accelerate off the starting grid.
No issues using this philosophy thus far.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Do we not think that this issue is blown out of all proportion?

I see way more motorists jump lights, and far more dangerously than cyclists. In the vast majority of cases the cyclist is putting no-one at danger except themselves. It's simply not the same as a car barrelling through the junction at high speed.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
+1, there's no excuse for EVER jumping a red light.
Ok, it's the early hours of the morning and you're at a red light. You can see in all directions and there are no cars to be seen or heard. The lights have failed to recognise that anyone is waiting at them and do not change. There are no pedestrians around to see you or anyone else. There are no cameras at these lights.
Personally i'd jump these lights even though technically they are not faulty and it would be illegal. Combined together I think the above constitute a fair enough excuse to jump. I suppose I could walk across them but I'm a lazy sod.

Do we not think that this issue is blown out of all proportion?

I see way more motorists jump lights, and far more dangerously than cyclists. In the vast majority of cases the cyclist is putting no-one at danger except themselves. It's simply not the same as a car barrelling through the junction at high speed.

In my opinion it's a law that applies to both, has different results for either, but like all other road law is not enforced by anyone :sad:
Just because cyclists don't cause as much damage there's no reason for us to set a bad example for others to follow.

mip

Ok, it's the early hours of the morning and you're at a red light. You can see in all directions and there are no cars to be seen or heard. The lights have failed to recognise that anyone is waiting at them and do not change. There are no pedestrians around to see you or anyone else. There are no cameras at these lights.
Personally i'd jump these lights even though technically they are not faulty and it would be illegal. Combined together I think the above constitute a fair enough excuse to jump. I suppose I could walk across them but I'm a lazy sod.
I'd dismount and cross the junction as a pedestrian.

I was crossing the lights straight over on green this morning, its a fairly nasty junction with a pinch point up ahead. I was making sure I was safely travelling through the pinch pont with the number of cars behind me.

However, coming from the left was a cyclist jumping thruogh his red liught. He was going quite slow and was aware of me and the cars and I could tell he would be filtering in betweeb the cars as he was well beyong the white line almost at the point of my lane (its a very large junction).

I'm sure the thought that he was being safe and not making anyone slow down, but all he did was add another variable in what is already a nasty junction for me. He did jump the lgihts, and all the rest on the way and I told him saw when I went passed him in the park.

I'm sure people who RLJ think they only do if saefly and considerately, but sometimes they will be getting it wrong without reaslising.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd dismount and cross the junction as a pedestrian.
Then you are a better man than me. I would add that the above represents about the only circumstances under which I'd RLJ because all things considered and all being as stated I can't see any risk in it or any danger of annoying another road user.

dharma66

Regular
I think you mean illegally, I know I used to drive one, never jumped red lights in that either, and never killed a cyclist nor anyone else. Still had idiots coming up the blind side.
Nope, I mean legally. The implication of the post I quoted was that no trucks would be travelling at 55mph at lights, because its illegal to do so, and therefore safe to assume that you only have to account for traffic travelling at legal speeds.
I was making the point that only accounting for traffic travelling at legal speeds isn't going to do you any good if someone travelling at illegal speeds then kills you. Hence, traffic doesn't have to be travelling legally to kill you.
There will always be idiots, and the vast majority of drivers never kill anyone. Those that do 'kill' people are often as much the victim as the dead person, because the dead person was the one at fault, leaving the driver with their death to deal with.
I nearly killed a child who stepped into the road a few years ago whilst I was driving. I had slowed to 25mph in a 30 zone, because I saw him run our of a sweety shop, and lost sight of him behind parked cars. He just ran straight out. As I swerved, my door mirror actually got folded back where it caught him. If I'd been going 5mph faster, he'd be dead. It would be his fault, but I would nevertheless have felt awful.

I nearly killed a child who stepped into the road a few years ago whilst I was driving. I had slowed to 25mph in a 30 zone, because I saw him run our of a sweety shop, and lost sight of him behind parked cars. He just ran straight out. As I swerved, my door mirror actually got folded back where it caught him. If I'd been going 5mph faster, he'd be dead. It would be his fault, but I would nevertheless have felt awful.
Well at least you were vigilant enough to see the hazard, so many wouldn't.
Long story to explain, but I have spun a small car around the front of the truck, her fault or mine she was coming up the inside, I wasn't observant enough, I didn't feel a thing in the truck, so what chance would a cyclist have with any sort of collision with a truck, very small I reckon. Whats more she was lucky to walk away, the car went across two lanes of the carriageway and into the central reservation, in the evening rush hour traffic, answered the questions the police asked filled in an insurance claim, never heard another thing about it. I still wonder about it, sometimes it feels like it never happened (it did the truck needed a new indicator).

Top Bottom