What do you call a radio???????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

My Dad is 70.

We were talking about something earlier and he said "Yeah I heard that on the wireless yesterday" :smile:

an old boy about 50 who does work for me (best plasterer in Glasgow incidently IMHO) always say's when I head out to a site to check up on stuff "hold on till I turn the tranny down":laugh:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I call it the radio. My Dad, who would be 79, called it the Wireless.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I call it the tranny. No I don't, but that's what transister radios sometimes used to be known as, when transistors started replacing valves.

I think my father (who would have been 98 had he lived to today) called it a radio. But then he was a bit of an early-generation electronics buff - building his own radios from kits, always at his happiest passing an evening with the soldering-iron out, capacitors and coils and valves* and the like spread all over the kitchen table... :sad:

*anyone NOT know what a valve was?

snorri

Legendary Member
661-Pete said:
capacitors and coils and valves* and the like spread all over the kitchen table... :sad:

*anyone NOT know what a valve was?
capacitors=new fangled word for condenser.
Coils made by winding copper wire around the cardboard former from a toilet roll.
Valves:ohmy: he was well advanced from the crystal diodes then:biggrin:
Ah! memories.:sad:

snorri said:
capacitors=new fangled word for condenser.
Coils made by winding copper wire around the cardboard former from a toilet roll.
Valves:ohmy: he was well advanced from the crystal diodes then:biggrin:
Ah! memories.:sad:
You've caught me out. I think he did call them 'condensers' but I'm not certain!

I remember winding a coil for myself (I made several 'crystal' sets myself, as a boy, under his guidance, but in my day it was no longer a 'cats-whisker' crystal but a more modern germanium diode. They were quite expensive in those days at about 7/6 - a lot of pocket-money!). Anyway, I was told that the larger diameter coil the better (something to do with high 'Q'), so I forsook the toilet-roll in favour of a home-made former made by winding cardboard round a milk-bottle and gluing it up. It worked quite well.

Umm, I've called it a radio for yonks, although I'm sure my parents used to say wireless until fairly recently. I think people pick up on new names after a while.
My mum still calls mugs beakers (those you drink from)

I turned a tranny down once, but I think that story belongs to a different thread (fair play to my mate though, he noticed first and told me before things went too far for comfort).

I've turned the radio down any number of times without any potential for embarassment.

Top Bottom