What do you do in the bad weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Worthwhile having at least one with permanent mudguards.

This is the best solution, I’ve got a proper poor weather bike.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Good tyres. Check.

Good brakes. Check.

Breeze Blockers. Check.

Pre ride check - Er, check.

Clean(ish) Y fronts. Check.

And thats it, I'm off. The only weather that keeps me off the bike is hurricane force winds that blow dangerous sized debris about, or heavy fog in which myopic cage pilots will tearfully tell the coroner "I didn't see him". Mind you, I wouldn't drive a car in those conditions either.

People whittle about 'black ice' etc, but how do you develop the skills to handle it if you don't ride it? Micro climates behind hedgerows etc can be as much as 6°C colder than the surroundings, so on a bright, clear day it can still reach out and grab you, and if you haven't developed the skills and experience required to stay upright because you're doing insuficient you have no means to fight it.

Its akin to saying "I love jogging, but it doesn't half make me huff and puff so I don't go out very often " - youre not avoiding the problem, youre actually making yourself more vulnerable to it.

I just ride. I live 52° North on a poky island in the North Atlantic. Dire weathernis a given. If I let the weather dictate everything I did I'd never leave the house to do anything. If it is affecting your daily activities that much they you're living in the wrong country.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
Good tyres. Check.

Good brakes. Check.

Breeze Blockers. Check.

Pre ride check - Er, check.

Clean(ish) Y fronts. Check.

And thats it, I'm off. The only weather that keeps me off the bike is hurricane force winds that blow dangerous sized debris about, or heavy fog in which myopic cage pilots will tearfully tell the coroner "I didn't see him". Mind you, I wouldn't drive a car in those conditions either.

People whittle about 'black ice' etc, but how do you develop the skills to handle it if you don't ride it? Micro climates behind hedgerows etc can be as much as 6°C colder than the surroundings, so on a bright, clear day it can still reach out and grab you, and if you haven't developed the skills and experience required to stay upright because you're doing insuficient you have no means to fight it.

Its akin to saying "I love jogging, but it doesn't half make me huff and puff so I don't go out very often " - youre not avoiding the problem, youre actually making yourself more vulnerable to it.

I just ride. I live 52° North on a poky island in the North Atlantic. Dire weathernis a given. If I let the weather dictate everything I did I'd never leave the house to do anything. If it is affecting your daily activities that much they you're living in the wrong country.
I have handled black ice in the past by break dancing, doing a spin on my back and also adopted Michael Jackson dancing ending with dropping to my knees in triumph :dance:

I am now too old for a repeat performance so avoid black ice and very strong winds :okay:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I went out this morning in sunshine with a few clouds. Hour and a half later it was pouring with rain. Simply put on my lightweight waterproofs (£10 from Go Outdoors a few years ago) from my saddlebag and carry on cycling.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I haven't really cycled seriously in about 3 months now - just the odd short ride out with my daughter to the park or shops.
If I want to get out and do some exercise when the weather is like it is, I put on a big coat and a warm hat and I go for a walk. I can come back to cycling soon enough, when the weather is a bit more benign.
Some are tough enough to do it (and I admire their fortitude), but I'm not that person. Cycling isn't mandatory and I really don't enjoy it in this weather. For me at least, my whole enjoyment of cycling comes from being out under bright skies, seeing nice views etc... it seems to lose just about all its appeal when the skies are really dark and the cold winds and rains are about.

I have done one year of "year round" cycling (about 3 years ago, I attempted the 50k a month challenge on here), but I was blessed with a few crisp bright days from January onwards which were just about okay especially with the promise of longer days on the way... I found it miserable past about October however, and I failed to go out in December altogether.

Cycling_Samurai

I admire you all weather cyclists. I won't go out in rain and definitely not in ice. Even then I wouldn't use my road bike in winter, even in the dry, as the roads are badly potholed round here and they don't make much effort to clear the leaves.

I think a lot of it comes down to having a bike you feel confident on. I simply don't feel happy on skinny tyres and a light bike unless the conditions are good. It just feels a lot harder to fall off a mtb to be honest.
I'm sort of with you. I dont go when it rains as I go early mornings before sun up. I got caught in heavy down pour and won't do that again. The riding buddy I'm cultivating just got a road bike and has similar apprehensions about skinny tires. Haven't seen his bike yet but it should be 700x25c. Mine is that and I got 28cm Gatorskins on it with green slime tubes. I ride motorcycle and learned to trust the bike tires. Roads are crap around here as well. Either potholes or patch work. So I understand you.

pjd57

Veteran
Bad weather , I use my hybrid .
Fatter tyres , lower seat. Feels safer, might not be but I'm more comfortable with it.
More layers of clothing.
Base layer under my normal cycling gear. Larger size ski gloves with a thin glove underneath.
If it's frosty I walk to the main road / bus routes before I get on my bike.
That's what gets me through winters in Glasgow

I'd commute in most weather's but my commute was down the Cambridge Busway. Since my op & chemo though and subsequent wfh I've become very risk averse however and will go on the smart turbo instead. Sometimes it has been a bad weather forecast but OK'ish in the morning weatherwise but I've been more motivated about doing a classic virtual climb and opted for that.

Cycling_Samurai

I'd commute in most weather's but my commute was down the Cambridge Busway. Since my op & chemo though and subsequent wfh I've become very risk averse however and will go on the smart turbo instead. Sometimes it has been a bad weather forecast but OK'ish in the morning weatherwise but I've been more motivated about doing a classic virtual climb and opted for that.
Good luck. Hope you recover. Keep at it. 🙂

Top Bottom