What do you do in the bad weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
I am risk averse, partly seniority and partly disposition. So I had a completely blank period recently. I should "manup" but only if I am slightly less clueless. I am impressed with the grit of so may CCFers. What, for you, are the key items of equipment (particularly tyres) and kit in cold/icy conditions? What technique tips do you have for riding in an English winter? PS: sustained periods of snow and ice are unusual here in SW London - hence cluelessness

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
No "should" about it.

If you don't need to and don't want to, don't. You have my permission 😜

Big John

Guru
If we're talking seriously cold or icy then a lot of cyclists will train indoors. That's not always possible for some folks for different reasons. I know a few who are gym members and they do spin classes, etc. If you can train at home then the list of turbo trainers you can get now are endless and because of internet connectivity you don't have to train alone. Personally, now I'm retired, I try wherever possible to get out during the day and so far I've not missed too many outdoor rides due to poor weather. A few times I've had to train in the garage but I only have a basic turbo. However, I also have rollers and I tend to use those with a YouTube video to relieve the boredom.

If you have the right winter clothes then riding outdoors isn't as bad as you'd think. You have to be sensible and safety is always high on my list of priorities these days so if the roads are obviously iffy then it's a garage session. It all depends on how keen you are. Some folks will go out whatever the conditions. If riding a bike becomes a habit, like smoking, then you'll ride come what may indoors, down the gym or outdoors.

As for kit....winter jacket, Roubaix bib tights, bib shorts, Helly Hansen top, thick socks, winter boots, overshoes, under helmet balaclava, lobster Sealskinz gloves and if it's really cold a shell jacket to go over the winter jacket just to keep the wind out. Tyres...in the winter I use Vittoria Zaffiros - cheap as chips. Winter bike is old school 7 speed, alloy frame, carbon forks.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I'm 66 and risk averse when it comes to falling off. If the forecast/temperatures suggest there is a danger of ice myself and fellow pensioners don't ride. Aside from that we're out three times a week, 52 weeks a year. It hasn't been safe the last ten days so we stayed home.

You don't need any special kit, tyres, etc. Put the kettle on.

Snow and ice in London? Must be a bad winter. :laugh:

Durango Bay

I feel the cold more than most but I didn't want to let my fitness slip this winter. I had given my turbo trainer to someone who was isolating and the gyms are shut so I decide to carry on riding as long as it wasn't raining when I left or icy/snowy on the ground. Through experimentation I can now go out in most temperatures although last week I didn't bother as -2 is my limit. This is what I wear when it gets near zero: Normal shoes but with the thickest neoprene overshoes, De Feet Woolie Bully socks (they are about £23 but are absolutely brilliant), running tights under bib shorts or on extra cold day Rapha padless tight bibs under shorts (the two layers around the groin area is vital), merino base layer (Weight depends on the temp. but for the very coldest days the icebreaker merino tops are great), long sleeved lycra top, long sleeved Gabba or similar, skull cap and bandana to cover my chin. That sounds like a lot and you can chop and change depending on the weather but I have hardly missed a day this winter.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't do ice. I don't mind cold or rain because I have lots of clothes. If the wind is howling, I'll wimp out, feeling guilty.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I occasionally get caught in rain but hardly ever set off in the pouring rain. Ice is a big risk so I will either get the mountain bike out or go for a walk on the local bridleways instead. If just the usual cold British winter weather then getting your layers right is important, silk glove liners under wind proof glove (Specialized deflect) are fantastic and two pairs of socks (one wool pair) with a slightly larger pair of shoes and thicker neoprene shoe covers have never let me down.

A winter bike or something with full length mudguards is best, a wet arse/back in cold weather is not nice, sometimes I have to drag myself out but always feel good when out pedalling.

I have rollers but find training indoors a bit dull.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I am risk averse, partly seniority and partly disposition. So I had a completely blank period recently. I should "manup" but only if I am slightly less clueless. I am impressed with the grit of so may CCFers. What, for you, are the key items of equipment (particularly tyres) and kit in cold/icy conditions? What technique tips do you have for riding in an English winter? PS: sustained periods of snow and ice are unusual here in SW London - hence cluelessness

I go on Zwift :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Various choices. Zwift is really handy if time crunched (and I'd advise you get a tablet/pc dedicated to run it and reduce set up TIME).

Clothing is essential and having the right gear to keep you warm enough. Choice of bikes ? Worthwhile having at least one with permanent mudguards. Ice and snow is a risk factor - I have ice spike tyres as I've crashed badly on ice before - I don't risk it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It's only ice or wind above 30 mph that stops me, purely because of the danger element. Anything else is fine, probably helped by a routine that rarely changes. I don't have the time to pick and choose when I can go out, so I don't second guess the weather and delay going, it is what it is.

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends how bad is bad. If it's cold, but has been dry, I will still go out if I need to go into work. Winter cycling boots, bar mitts, and the right amount of layers actually makes it an okay experience. If it's below freezing, and has been wet and I need to go into work: bus or drive myself. If it's just been raining and hasn't been below freezing, I'll cycle into work but will stick to the main roads instead of the using the longer, but more pleasurable B2B railway path. Pleasure rides: if the sun's out, I'm going out. Rain, ice, heavy wind etc., it's a meet-up on Zwift with discord for the social side.

Top Bottom